[Nextcloud] Correct way to get write access to local storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geonull

Cadet
Within the Nextcloud Web GUI, I open my music folder and I'm told: "You don't have permission to upload or create files here" -- what am I doing wrong?

Using FreeNAS 11, I've installed Nextcloud via the plugin. I go to the nextcloud_1 jail and add storage from /mnt/tank/music to /mnt/music within the jail. I then use External storage to plugin within Nextcloud to add the local folder /mnt/music as "music" in Nextcloud leaving read/write permissions for all users. In FreeNAS, the group/user owner of the music dataset is family/family added through the FreeNAS Web GUI. My understanding is that I need to open a terminal to the nextcloud_1 jail to add a group (as one way to do this) whose GID is the same as in family in the Web GUI (1000). Also within the jail terminal, add the user that "nextcloud runs as" to the group in the jail.

1. Is my understanding correct? Is there another way to do this?
  2. How do I determine what user nextcloud runs as? The jail runs as root/wheel, so within the jail, adding root to the family group to resolve the issue seems silly. (I tried out of desperation and no luck).
From what I understand, this should be rather simple, but I just can't seem to get it. I've scoured the forums and tried almost everything ... including the various tutorials on how to give plugins access to your data. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

geonull

Cadet
Bumping this because I'm totally stuck.

I've RTFM, but can't seem to figure out how others make this work. Please let me know if a different subforum is more appropriate.

geonull

Cadet
Thanks for asking, not yet -- I'm still looking for the best way to give plugin jails permissions to storage -- in this case, Nextcloud. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

gskellig

Cadet
Sorry to bump. I'm also having this problem. I've tried adding the "www" user (which is the user that has permissions inside the jail) and also the root/wheel user as @geonull has tried, still getting the "You don't have permission to upload or create files here" message.

bluex10

Cadet
Hi, I did this
my Settings are:
User, same on both freenas and nextcloud
I created a dataset for the freenas user and configure the Owner group as www.
Then mounted the dataset over the jail path for Nextcloud, something like...
origin: /mnt/freenas/local_user_folder/ (dataset)
destination folder: /mnt/Media/jails/nextcloud_1/media/[username_nextcloud]/files/[local_foldername],

I hope this works for you

Status
Not open for further replies.