Newbie to TrueNas / Linux

Knutsoft

Cadet
Hi, I apologies in advance as I have only ever used Windows operating systems, so Linux is a difficult learning curve. However I have managed to instal TreNas Core and operate in a fashion. The problem I'm having is making/ accessing directories. I've used Windows shares/ SMB and I can view the directories in Windows. What I can't work out is how I make separate directories that I can access. I have named 4 directories for my home server i.e. Video, Pictures, Files, Music but under share I can only access Files and I try changing, everything in Files shows in the other directories! I have looked for help but can't find the answers I need.

Please help I'm so close to finishing the configuration but this part has me thrown me.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Kind regards, Rick

Whattteva

Wizard
Hi, I apologies in advance as I have only ever used Windows operating systems, so Linux is a difficult learning curve. However I have managed to instal TreNas Core and operate in a fashion.
Let's get this one out of the way first. CORE runs FreeBSD and is NOT Linux; though they are both POSIX systems.

The problem I'm having is making/ accessing directories. I've used Windows shares/ SMB and I can view the directories in Windows. What I can't work out is how I make separate directories that I can access. I have named 4 directories for my home server i.e. Video, Pictures, Files, Music but under share I can only access Files and I try changing, everything in Files shows in the other directories! I have looked for help but can't find the answers I need.
I'm confused. Can you please be more detailed in how the datasets or folders are set up? Are they different independent folders? Are they all folders under files? Are they different datasets? Be more specific. Screenshots if possible so it's more clear what you're talking about.