Newbie question about setting up SMB permissions

Juliean

Dabbler
I am running FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 and trying to set up an SMB share. I was initially following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM to set up permissions via groups. I created a dataset that was set to SMB permissions, created a user and a group, added the user to that group, then created a share for the dataset, assigned owner as `nobody` and group with the group I created. I set the ACLs as Allow, Basic, Full Control, and Inherit to both owner and group.

Nada. Windows can see FreeNAS, accepts the username and password I created, and gives access to a home directory for the user (which is on a different dataset/share). However, while it shows the share in question, it doesn't allow access, giving a permission error.

I then tried the procedure in this video, basically going back to the ACLs for the share, and adding the user as a third entry (with the same Allow, Basic, Full Control, Inherit permissions), and it instantly worked.

Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong? It'd be much more convenient for me to manage this via groups - adding user to groups, setting per-share ACLs by group - than by adding each user to each dataset manually.

I can attach screenshots, but it'd be so many that I've hesitated to do so. If specific screenshots or console command outputs would be helpful, please let me know which.

Thanks!