New UI: Serial Console - Have I found a Bug?

NASbox

Guru
I had an old serial card lying around, so I decided to set up a serial console. I originally installed the card a couple of years ago, but I wasn't able to use it because the serial port on my Linux workstation wasn't working. I finally got it fixed, and set up the serial console yesterday. FreeNAS 11.2-U7 recognizes my serial card and the serial console works great, but the speed defaults to 9600, but I want to increase it to 115,200.

When I log in to the new UI, the serial port entry shows as Serial Port: -----, and there are no available choices. I was afraid change the speed for fear that when I hit save, the serial port address would become corrupted.

When I use the legacy UI, I have an entry Serial Port Address: 0xb090 and I had no difficulty changing the baud rate.
(I'm not sure if I set the address up manually under FreeNAS 11.0 a couple of year ago, or if the system automatically picked it up.)

It appears that configuration of a serial port will require the use of the legacy UI.

Someone needs to review the code in the new UI, or when the legacy UI goes away it won't be possible to configure a serial port.

rudds

Dabbler
Chiming in here to say I've experienced the same problem of no available serial ports showing up in the new UI in 11.2-U8, despite the system recognizing them per dmesg.boot.

Like the OP, I was also able to get the serial console working by dropping to the legacy UI and configuring it there.

Does anyone know if a bug has been filed for this, and/or whether the problem is already fixed in 11.3?

Edit: Looks like a bug for this was reported and fixed a while back -- shame the fix didn't make it into 11.2, but appears to be fixed in 11.3.

Last edited: