new TrueNAS build looking for advice for NVME and VMware storage

curruscanis

Dabbler
Hello all I am hoping some people can point me in the right direction. I have been reading every scrap of information I can on implementation of a TrueNAS system using NVME pools, specifically in my case for iSCSI vmware block storage. However so much information is out of date or not applicable it is hard to determine what is valid for a new build. I have posted a potential build but have not received any replies as yet.

So maybe if I simplify my question.

Is a 24 x NVME build even possible? And if so what is the best hardware to make that happen?

If NVME drives are used, is it still necessary to use mirrored drives in a vdev for performance over another configuration? I realize this is done for pure IOPS in a spinning disk and it has served us very well on our existing FreeNAS with spinning disks but with NVME and their extremally fast performance over traditional hard drives can another ZFS solution be used to increase the overall storage from 25% of raw disk space?

Thank you.

Etorix

Wizard
Hopefully @jgreco will chime in, but beside IOPS a reason for using mirrors for block storage is that raidz favours large record size, and takes a significant space penalty when storing small records, as in block storage.

curruscanis

Dabbler
Thank you for your input, Etorix, I had seen info on size issues but didn't really know if they would impact iSCSI style storage or to what degree, it all seems so unknown given the possible number of scenarios.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't have the strength right now. Maybe try one of the other threads where I've done a deeper dive.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Allow me to link back an explanation then.

"It's an older post, sir, but it checks out."

Regarding the free space question, the "50% Free Space" is not a hard and fast rule, but neither is it a binary "Fast/Slow" threshold value.