New to TrueNas

weezypenguin

Cadet
I am new to TrueNas and any NAS software. I am awaiting some new NAS devices to be delivered as part of a Kickstart Project i have backed. They come with TrueNas Scaler.
So in readiness I thought it would be a good idea if I was to spin up a server and set it up ahead of time. I can then learn the software ahead of the NAS delivery.
My question is..
I have the hardware; I have multiple USB drives. So that is all covered. But I only have hard drives of differing capacities. Because this is purely a test exercise.
Do I need to have drives of the same capacity?
I look forward to your thoughts and comments.
TIA

Do I need to have drives of the same capacity?
Not technically, no. Your "vdev" will be limited by the smallest drive.

If you have a mirror vdev of 1TB drive + 2TB drive, you will end up with a mirror vdev of 1TB storage capacity, since it's the same as if all your drives were 1TB.

If you have a RAIDZ1 vdev of 1TB drive + 2TB drive + 3TB drive, you will end up with a RAIDZ1 vdev of 2TB storage capacity, since it's the same as if all your drives were 1TB.

And so on, and so on.

The smallest member in a vdev dictates the "size" for all members, which dictates the total storage capacity for your vdev.

A pool can have one vdev, but it can also be comprised of multiple vdevs.

Highly recommended introduction to ZFS: https://arstechnica.com/information...01-understanding-zfs-storage-and-performance/

Last edited:

weezypenguin

Cadet
That is great thanks. So if i go unraid. Bascially it is going to be a Plex server. So current libraries are all set up and not thinking i want to changes them. I have so much data and to have a raid set up would be costly on drives etc. Can I creat a dataset/pool (excuse me if my terminology is incorrect) using only 1 drive? Or does it require 2 minimum?

Can I creat a dataset/pool (excuse me if my terminology is incorrect) using only 1 drive?
Yes, you can create a data pool that is comprised of one "striped" single-drive vdev.

You will have no safeguard or redundancy. If the drive fails, you lose everything.

That is great thanks. So if i go unraid.
Unraid is a specific product, completely unrelated to TrueNAS.

Are you trying to decide which one will suit you better?

weezypenguin

Cadet
Thanks. I realise the down falls of singe drive. But that has been the same for me for a long time. So a risk I am willing to take.
I also realsie UnRaid is an actual software comptitor.. Just not sure what the terminology would be in the TrueNas world.
ALways willing to learn

Arwen

MVP
That is great thanks. So if i go unraid. Bascially it is going to be a Plex server. So current libraries are all set up and not thinking i want to changes them. I have so much data and to have a raid set up would be costly on drives etc. Can I creat a dataset/pool (excuse me if my terminology is incorrect) using only 1 drive? Or does it require 2 minimum?
You can also create 2 or more drives, in a striped ZFS pool. This is of course not recommended.

The comment @winnielinnie wrote also applies to multiple disks in a striped ZFS pool;

You will have no safeguard or redundancy. If the drive fails, you lose everything.

If just one drive fails completely out of 2 or more, you loose the whole pool.

All that said, my miniature media server's Media pool consists of 2 disks. One is a 1TB mSATA SSD and the other is a 2TB SATA 2.5" HDD. As I have multiple backups, the Media is striped across those 2 disks, (meaning without redundancy). But, the OS uses a small part of each in a Mirror, which gives me more confidence to fix issues as they arise.

And yes, I have lost perhaps 20 files over the 7 years I have had that computer, due to back blocks. But, because I have full, complete and tested backups, those files were 100% restored. Mostly they were large video files. That is one nice thing about ZFS, if you loose a disk block that is in use, ZFS will tell you which file needs to be restored.