New to FreeNas

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdonald007

Cadet
Hi
Just a quick question. I have...

1 x 80 GB SSD
2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (7200, 64MB etc etc)

I just want a simple server - not too busy and 2TB is more than enough space for now.

I wanted to install the OS to the SDD, and mirror the 2x2TB drives. Will this work OK?

Don't want to install or use any external RAID cards etc, the system itself is pretty powerful;

Intel 720 2.8ghz processor
6GB RAM
Gigabyte GA EX 58 Extreme MB
(this was my old gaming pc, only 2 yrs old)

6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
On board Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi
Just a quick question. I have...

1 x 80 GB SSD
2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (7200, 64MB etc etc)

I just want a simple server - not too busy and 2TB is more than enough space for now.

I wanted to install the OS to the SDD, and mirror the 2x2TB drives. Will this work OK?

Don't want to install or use any external RAID cards etc, the system itself is pretty powerful;

Intel 720 2.8ghz processor
6GB RAM
Gigabyte GA EX 58 Extreme MB
(this was my old gaming pc, only 2 yrs old)

6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
On board Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

I wouldn't recommend installing the OS to the SSD. The FreeNAS OS is really only read once from disk and then put into RAM, the SSD wouldn't only help boot speeds marginally and then would not be used again. Almost all of your SSD space would be unused because FreeNAS is a fixed 2GB image. I recommend installing FreeNAS onto a 4GB USB stick and using the SSD as a cache drive, log drive (if your on 8.3Beta2), or as a separate zpool.

macdonald007

Cadet
OK Thanks - that seems to be a theme based on what the boards are saying, guess I am going to get a stick....

toddos

Contributor
I'm not even sure I'd bother with the SSD as a ZIL or cache drive as it's probably not going to be of any benefit for a light work load. Put that SSD into a different PC where it can really be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.