New to FreeNAS, Permission Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardy

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I recently found myself in need of a NAS for two reasons:
- Home use
- Backup of a server (WD MyCloud EX2) which is in the office (off site)

I really want to make a server myself, and I am currently trying to understand FreeNAS so that when I buy the components I will actually understand enough to set it up.
I have installed FreeNAS in virtualbox and added 4 virtual HDD's. I have three of them in one pool (RaidZ) and the fourth in it's own pool (this last one would be for the back up).

I am able to connect to the server and use it, but I am having a really hard time with the permissions. What I would like is that each user has his own folder (share) which only they can read and write to. Other users shouldn't be able to even see the files in this folder. So my question is:
- Should I create a dataset for every user
- Should I create one dataset, with a share for every user
- Should I create one dataset with one share, with a homefolder for every user
- (In case of the last two, what do I need the dataset for anyway?)

I have tried a couple of things, but I seem not to be able to actually keep people from seeing files in the folders. When I do try to change permissions via the GUI, they will just reset themself the moment I have clicked OK...

Thank you :)

D

dlavigne

What type of share are you creating? And did you follow the instructions in the Guide for making that type of share?

Wardy

Dabbler
What type of share are you creating? And did you follow the instructions in the Guide for making that type of share?
I found a guide on how to do it, apparently I have to set the permission from the windows file explorer (it was a CIFS) instead of though the FreeNAS GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.