SOLVED New to FreeNAS, network settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
So I performed the installation of FreeNAS 9.3 and went through the setup wizard and had a problem with the email part. So I skipped it and figured out that I had a local network address but I could not connect to the Internet.
Do you have to configure the network settings normally or do these normally auto configure?

TonyITNewb

Dabbler
When I upgraded to 9.3, I had to reconfigure my network from the console and assign it a static IP.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
had a local network address but I could not connect to the Internet.
Do you have to configure the network settings normally or do these normally auto configure?
In [Network] - [Global Configuration]: Add an entry for the "IPv4 Default Gateway" (usually your router's IP) and while you are there add an entry for "Nameserver 1:" (same IP). That should do ya...

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
Yes I added this. I was just wondering if it was supposed to automatically configure. But thank you for the responses.

rogerh

Guru
I've never chosen to use DHCP with FreeNAS, but I wonder if it is possible that the developers deliberately chose not to set the default gateway and DNS server from DHCP? The logic would be that FreeNAS probably should not be directly connected to the Internet (as it might be if DHCP were providing a routable IP) without some protection. Domestically, NAT generally helps but the developers cannot assume that DHCP will supply this.

Status
Not open for further replies.