New to FreeNAS, how do i painlessly share my NTFS drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirddes

Cadet
im not formatting it, im not moving it, im just plugging it in and sharing it.

is this going to work or will i have to go back to windows? or wait until NAS4Free has finished downloading ?(they seriously need better mirrors ;4 hours to download 345MB on 130mbit cable is so not cool.)

have a great day everyone :D

loving the webui btw, pretty slick.

if this is not possible, i must ask, why not?
to clarify, if every single other linux out there can just read and share NTFS drives, why can't the distro that is designed to share drives?
i must assume that NAS4Free can. and if it can, freenas used to. which means regressions, which means BRAIN ASPLODE!!!

so, whats up?

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
is this going to work
No, FreeNAS uses the ZFS filesystem, exclusively.
if every single other linux out there can just read and share NTFS drives, why can't the distro that is designed to share drives?
  1. This isn't Linux, it's a customized version of FreeBSD.
  2. This appliance is designed primarily for reliable network attached data storage. NTFS is not part of the solution.

mirddes

Cadet
exclusive support of a single filesystem is the worst possible idea for a NAS OS. just saying.

like, really really bad. windows without a startmenu bad.

you know, other than not supporting filesystems at all, in fact, could be an improvement!!!

i too thought it was freebsd, what with 0.7 being freebsd. but it turns out, its not quite freebsd. some sort of re-implementation under a debian of sorts.

what does get me is that the original version did in fact do what is sought after. This version does not, for no apparent logical reason that benefits the community as a whole.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
exclusive support of a single filesystem is the worst possible idea for a NAS OS.
I'm sure I could name a dozen other ideas that are worse, but that's beside the point. Why would you expect a Unix-based NAS to support NTFS? And why would you want it to?

FreeNAS is about secure data storage. ZFS does that. NTFS doesn't. NTFS on *nix especially doesn't. If directly sharing your NTFS volumes is a critical requirement, look elsewhere.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
A single filesystem is bad? Do you mean like what Windows supports?

mirddes

Cadet
hey guys, last i checked there is widespread unix support for nfts, and dozens of other filesystems.

and last i check windows supports roughly half a dozen file systems, and more with additional software.

FreeNAS supports ONE filesystem, highhorses might want to be lowered.

you know some people don't care about security and just want something that works. your product doesnt work. but older versions do and that makes no sense.

arrogant design choices only serve to alienate viable users.

Mlovelace

Guru
hey guys, last i checked there is widespread unix support for nfts, and dozens of other filesystems.

and last i check windows supports roughly half a dozen file systems, and more with additional software.

FreeNAS supports ONE filesystem, highhorses might want to be lowered.

you know some people don't care about security and just want something that works. your product doesnt work. but older versions do and that makes no sense.

arrogant design choices only serve to alienate viable users.
By all means use something that works for you. There is no requirement for you to use freenas for your storage server, and I don't think the devs are going to change the design.

Best of luck

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, Windows supports at least two, FAT32 and NTFS. But I think @mirddes has misunderstood the purpose of a NAS appliance. It isn't designed to plug in drives with existing data and share them; it's designed to manage your storage and make it available over the network. FreeNAS isn't alone in this--check out a ReadyNAS or a Synology, and they behave the same way.

And @mirddes, no, FreeNAS isn't Debian in any way, shape, or form, and I haven't the foggiest idea what would make you think that. It is, in fact, FreeBSD, albeit a stripped-down FreeBSD. And nothing was removed--FreeNAS is a completely different product, on a completely different code base, than NAS4Free (the former FreeNAS). And even if 0.7 did support sharing NTFS volumes, there's still a perfectly logical reason for not doing so now, and Robert and I have already mentioned it: it simply isn't consistent with FreeNAS' mission of providing high-integrity data storage.

mirddes

Cadet
I haven't the foggiest idea what would make you think that.

um, the wikipedia article, for starters., im glad to hear its not a linux, someone more familiar with the project should probably clean up the wikipedia article so it doesn't make references to historical events that never came to pass, or atleast make it clear that they never came to pass.

a rough skim had me read that after 0.7 it became a linux (totally skipped the line where it said that idea was ditched..

FreeNAS can support NTFS and High-Intergrity data storage, at the same time, just not at the same time ;)

so now ive got the nas4free.img and im hopign it work this time, 3rd time's the charm.

i do like what you guys are doing here, its pretty nifty, if i wasnt using pre-loved drives i'd use this.

but we don't all have money to buy new drives.

Mlovelace

Guru
um, the wikipedia article, for starters., im glad to hear its not a linux, someone more familiar with the project should probably clean up the wikipedia article so it doesn't make references to historical events that never came to pass, or atleast make it clear that they never came to pass.

a rough skim had me read that after 0.7 it became a linux (totally skipped the line where it said that idea was ditched..

FreeNAS can support NTFS and High-Intergrity data storage, at the same time, just not at the same time ;)

so now ive got the nas4free.img and im hopign it work this time, 3rd time's the charm.

i do like what you guys are doing here, its pretty nifty, if i wasnt using pre-loved drives i'd use this.

but we don't all have money to buy new drives.
The original developer of freeNAS (0.7 and earlier) started a new project call Openmediavault which is based on Debian. It's in the article you are referring to BTW. Maybe don't skim as much ;)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Wow. Just wow.

Please, I beg you to go find another OS to use. At this rate with your lack of reading and comprehension, I can just picture the posts that will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.