New to FreeNAS and these Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Jensen

Dabbler
Greetings new to Open Source FreeNAS and the FreeNAS Forums

I know this is a greeting place but was hoping I could ask a fairly general question here. If I have questions about what a file is/does that is part of the build which is the best forum for that?

And again Hi everyone

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Dennis Jensen

Dabbler
For instance in the GUI_Upgrade.txz/etc/avatar.conf which also appears in the GUI_Upgrade.txz/gui-install-environment.tar/conf/default/etc/avatar.conf I am guessing they are not the same file and they perhaps do slightly different things just wondering what they are and do -- I tried searching the internet to get a description but to no avail and someone told me that the description of the files is not part of the documentation either. Many of the files (due to experience with Unix/Linux) I recognize just not all of them and this example being one of them. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure people here will have useful answers for that...

Dennis Jensen

Dabbler
?? Surely if it is part of the FreeNAS build someone has to know why it is included and what does -- yes ?? Just wanted to know which forum would be the best place to post such questions -- and/or is there a better forum to go to get these kind of questions answered ??

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
?? Surely if it is part of the FreeNAS build someone has to know why it is included and what does -- yes ?? Just wanted to know which forum would be the best place to post such questions -- and/or is there a better forum to go to get these kind of questions answered ??
This is the best place to get questions answered. Where are you seeing these files? The source is hosted on github here: https://github.com/freenas

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Surely if it is part of the FreeNAS build someone has to know why it is included and what does -- yes
I'm sure the devs do, but there's no reason for most users to want to know.

and/or is there a better forum to go to get these kind of questions answered
Dev mailing list perhaps, or maybe IRC during the evenings (PST).

Dennis Jensen

Dabbler
Okay the problem is eventually I am most likely going to be a future dev of some level which is part of the reason I am wanting to know what the file is for and does as part of the build. I like to know about all the bits and pieces of what it is I am going to be working with and such. I have found making assumptions as a programmer is extremely dangerous and very time consuming when you have to troubleshoot something due to not knowing the inner-workings of the software you are developing with

And(to answer anodos) the file in question (avatar.conf) is part of the 9-10 build I believe

Is the Dev Mailing list posted somewhere ? And its been a while since I used IRC is there a specific IP Address I should go to for the FreeNAS IRC ?

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Status
Not open for further replies.