New to freenas and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all and thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm brand new here and this is my first post so if it's in the wrong place please forgive me as I am very frustrated and am eager for solutions. Anyways my problem is as follows:

I have a Dell xps 435mt with 6gb RAM (I know I'm 2 shy of the recommended) with a i7920 in it. I put freenas on a 16gb USB with Rufus portable. Yesterday when I did this the Dell could see the USB and would boot to it but it would give me an error saying it couldn't remount the root. I think I read somewhere about formatting it with active@ diskkill so that's what I did. Now when I put the USB with freenas on it in the Dell it can see the USB but it gives me a black screen saying "no diagnostic utility partition identified; press any key to reboot..."

So I thought it was the USB so I tried installing freenas using a different computer... Mounted freenas ISO to a 32gb USB using Rufus plugged that USB into my everyday desktop and installed it to the 16gb USB drive. It worked like a charm no remount issues... I think it took 10 to 15 min total to install. The only problem is the Dell just won't boot freenas... Aaaaarrrrrrggggg

Someone please help this freenas noob out. Idk if I gave enough info or what so please let me know what I can do to help you help me.

Thanks for having me guys!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Hmm, let's see here:
  • Does Motherboard support ECC RAM
    • Nope
  • Does Processor support ECC RAM
    • Afraid not
  • Does system have the minimal supported amount of RAM
    • Negative
  • Do I foresee pain in your future if you try to run FreeNas on this system and store important data
    • Without a doubt
Issue is with your PC: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19343349

I'm not worried about the whole ecc RAM thing... I read an article that said someone big like Google tested the claim about ram... I did find that link you posted shortly after I posted here... Went to upgrade the BIOS but can't so I'm changing motherboard and CPU... Not sure what I'm going to get yet

Thank you for your help I do appreciate having another set of eyes on it :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm not worried about the whole ecc RAM thing... I read an article that said someone big like Google tested the claim about ram... I did find that link you posted shortly after I posted here... Went to upgrade the BIOS but can't so I'm changing motherboard and CPU... Not sure what I'm going to get yet

Thank you for your help I do appreciate having another set of eyes on it :)

Did that someone big like Google test against ZFS?

I'm not worried about the whole ecc RAM thing... I read an article that said someone big like Google tested the claim about ram...
Please read the first post in this thread, and understand how ZFS would corrupt your data if the RAM ever develops an error. If you don't care about your data, then there is no need for ECC RAM. If you do care about your data, then you really should use ECC RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.