New to Forum but been using FreeNAS for a couple years until now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHawkKC

Cadet
Hi,

This is my first post even though I have been happily using FreeNAS since early 2013. I recently had to move my server for the first time since setting it up and I unfortunately snapped my USB boot drive in half in the process. This is my first time having to replace the USB drive and I am embarrassed to say I'm not 100% sure of the version I was using - I believe it was 8.3.0 or 8.3.1. My server has been running without a hitch for the last 2 years so and I don't have any records of the version installed. I have 2 questions for anyone who can help:

1. Can I simply download the correct old version and boot from a new USB drive without any issue?
2. If I don't pick the correct version the first time I try to boot, will I corrupt anything on my storage drives?

Thanks!

warri

Guru
1. Yes. If you have a backup of your old configuration file, you can restore it after booting. If not, you need to reconfigure your shares, users, etc.
2. No. In the worst case you cannot import your pool due to ZFS version mismatch, but no data is touched or changed.

If you need to reinstall FreeNAS anyway, you should try upgrading to the most recent version in the process (9.2.1.8 as I'm writing this post).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1. Yes. If you have a backup of your old configuration file, you can restore it after booting. If not, you need to reconfigure your shares, users, etc.
2. No. In the worst case you cannot import your pool due to ZFS version mismatch, but no data is touched or changed.

If you need to reinstall FreeNAS anyway, you should try upgrading to the most recent version in the process (9.2.1.8 as I'm writing this post).
Time to update your sig ;)

Hi,

This is my first post even though I have been happily using FreeNAS since early 2013. I recently had to move my server for the first time since setting it up and I unfortunately snapped my USB boot drive in half in the process. This is my first time having to replace the USB drive and I am embarrassed to say I'm not 100% sure of the version I was using - I believe it was 8.3.0 or 8.3.1. My server has been running without a hitch for the last 2 years so and I don't have any records of the version installed. I have 2 questions for anyone who can help:

1. Can I simply download the correct old version and boot from a new USB drive without any issue?
2. If I don't pick the correct version the first time I try to boot, will I corrupt anything on my storage drives?

Thanks!

As warri recommended, upgrading to 9.2.1.8 is recommended. You can just install it to a clean USB drive and try it out (but DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR POOL until you're absolutely sure you want to upgrade).

BHawkKC

Cadet
Excellent. Thank you for both responses. I didn't think I had to worry about losing my data but I want to make sure since i'm getting back into the process after being out of the mix for so long. I agree that an upgrade is in order. I have been meaning to upgrade for the last year and I think this USB drive "failure" gives me good reason to start fresh and learn a little more about what is new in the current versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.