New Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my TS140 Lenovo and 2 - 4TB WD Red drives today. Expected at least a minor struggle but I installed the hard drives in the TS140 and then put the ISO on a flash drive and installed it to another flash drive and booted. Ran the configuration wizard and I seem to be in business for serving files.

I opted for CIFS sharing even though I'm almost 100% Mac and Linux (and Raspberry Pi, also Linux).

Cool little project. I'll get in and dabble around under the hood and maybe install OwnCloud. I'm not ready to store files yet as I decided to install a 3rd WD 4TB and just ordered a small SSD drive for the boot drive so looks like I'll be reconfiguring but that gives me some time to play and get familiar before I deploy for real.

Thanks for all the help. The documentation is great and about every question I had was answered (so far) by searching the forums but for the most part it was plug and play.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
gives me some time to play and get familiar before I deploy for real.
This is a very good plan of attack. In fact since you've also discovered that you want a 3rd drive it might be a really good time to evaluate your storage needs to make sure it will be adequate before you commit your data to it.

By the time my SSD and other 4TB drive shows up I'll have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to deploy. Dabbling with OwnCloud now. Have it set up but I have freenas behind a pfsense firewall with OpenVPN. No real compelling reason to have an OwnCloud server when you can VPN into your home network and get at all your files anyway.

While FreeNAS seems to have some cool little capabilities I want to use it simply for NAS storage with the ability to have redundant disks.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Don't forget to implement a backup strategy for the data you care about.

melloa

Wizard
By the time my SSD and other 4TB drive shows up I'll have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to deploy. Dabbling with OwnCloud now. Have it set up but I have freenas behind a pfsense firewall with OpenVPN. No real compelling reason to have an OwnCloud server when you can VPN into your home network and get at all your files anyway.

While FreeNAS seems to have some cool little capabilities I want to use it simply for NAS storage with the ability to have redundant disks.

Yes and No :)

There are features in OwnCloud I like, for instance all pictures and videos I take with my phones and tablets are automatically uploaded to my server. I do have OpenVPN on my pf, but sometimes I'm not at a machine that I have configured and need a file ...

Status
Not open for further replies.