New (physically) added SSD to encrypted RAIDz1 -> geom_raid5.ko - Unsupported file format

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritz276

Cadet
Hi,

I installed a 5-disk encrypted RAIDZ1 with FreeNAS 9.2.0 some days ago, so I'm kind of new to FreeNAS. Everything worked perfect.

Now, I wanted to add a single SSD (stripe ZFS, new vdev and new pool) to hold my jails. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that should not affect my existing RAIDZ1 pool, a.k.a if the SSD breaks, only my jails are gone for good.

But I didnt get that far: After phyisically adding the disk, I get following errors resulting in zfs module not loaded:

[I assume there are error messages before, but I cant record them, headless system]

kldload: can't load geom_raid3: Exec format error
kdload: /boot/modules_geom_raid5.ko: Unsupported file format
kdload: cant load geom_raid5: Exec format error

(continues for geom*) -> Ends up that even zfs module cant be loaded.

As soon as I physically disconnect the SSD, everything is working perfect again without a glitch. My guess is that somehow geom_eli tried to include the (unencrypted, unformated, plain new) SSD and then things getting bad? But on the other hand that shouldnt end in a completely unusuable environment due to missing zfs moulde?

Any help?

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Try wiping the disk with the tool for your manufacturer. Do NOT use a standard tool to write zeros, that is NOT the proper way to wipe an SSD.

I know a disk I used to use called Parted Magic had this tool built-in, but it costs $5 now(used to be free) and the guy that makes it is a jerk. So I don't give him my money.

If you want the free version, I can probably find a way to post it somewhere or something.

Dusan

Guru
[I assume there are error messages before, but I cant record them, headless system]
If the system boots (but just doesn't mount the pools) you can run dmesg in a ssh session to retrieve the messages.

fritz276

Cadet
I added a ticket here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3819

I will do what cyberjock suggested, also add a simple used HDD to see if its related to the disk. I'll report back. Its just that I feel the system shouldnt be in that state even if there is any problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.