Not open for further replies.

Raffaele

Cadet
Hi to everyone!

ready to finish my dream project and happy to show to you my NAS:

6fpg.jpg

Mobo: SuperMicro X7DCL-I pcb 1.1A
Ram: 16Gb (4x4gb) ddr2 667 ECC
CPU: Dual Xeon LV LGA771 (to buy L53xx or L54xx)
CTRL RAID: Adaptec RAID 6445 Sas/Sata
Case 19" rack: 16x Hd Hot-swap
SSD-OS: intel 320n 160gb
HDs: 16x WD RED 4tb (to buy)
PSU: 2x Supermicro Ablecom PWS-902-1R 900w
LAN: 2x gigabit failover
UPS: APC Smart-UPS 1000 rack 2U

right now changing all fans (is damn loud!!)

PSU FAN: 2x Square Fan-Sanyo Denki-9CRA0412J505 DC 12V 1.4A, 40X40X56mm 55/60 DbA
Case FAN: 3xSupermicro FAN-0070L 6300rpm 90cfm 51dbA
Case FAN: 2xSupermicro FAN-0062L 4600rpm 53.7cfm 45dbA

and here is the replacement story

[maybe next step 8Gbx6 ram dd2 667 ECC up to 48Gb]

Will use ZFS and Adaptec Raid 6 (suppose to work...)

MAIN Purpose: Storage-Fileserver with 2x1Gbit lan and 10mbit Adsl 2+ :(((

- Movies (HD and not) - Tv Series (HD and not) - Anime (HD and not) (avi/mp4/mkv etc) = 16Tb
- Music (mp3/flac etc) = 2Tb
- eBook (cbz/cbz/zip/rar/pdf etc) = 1Tb
- emule/amule download
- torrent download
- personal laptop backups =15/20Gb
- iPhoto DB (20.000 pics) = 140Gb
- iTunes DB (app & music & podcast) = 15/20Gb
- copy 100/200Gb from HFS+ or NTFS external usb2/3 hard disks

MAX USAGE:

4x HD 1080p movies simultaneously
1x client torrent
1x client e/amule
1x itunes (app download & iphone backup)
1x file copy (100/200gb) from HFS+ or NTFS external usb2 hard disks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
"suppose to work..." ? Good luck.

1) Adaptec cards are basically poorly supported under FreeNAS

2) You're using a RAID controller, which means you've failed to read the documentation.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Add to that FBDIMMs and socket 771s, both of which are power whores.

Good luck! You'll have lots of fun with that build!

Raffaele

Cadet
@jgreco thank you for good luck and let's see into how much i'll be crazy after first experiments. Final OS is not chosen right now, i have to test Freenas / Nas4free / uBuntu Server and Suse Enterprise Server.

1) i suppose to use native freebsd adaptec driver why they shouldn't work? i'll study more this forum to find out more about adaptec raid ctrl (raid6) and zfs file system.
2) took first look 9.2.1 manual and the same for this forum, there's a lot to learn and i'm at the beginning

@cyberjock this supermicro motherboard works only with 6xDIMMs ECC no Fully Buffered, about cpus i'm thinking 2x L5420 right now ... maybe too much..?!:confused:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Honestly, I am normally more verbose but with tapatalk on a smartphone I tend to get to the point.

REGARDLESS of whether or not Adaptec provides a FreeBSD driver, the fact of the matter is that ZFS is designed to BE your RAID controller, not to run on top of someone else's hardware RAID. This topic has been endlessly and pointlessly beaten to death. You lose all sorts of capabilities when running on top of a RAID controller. Get a nice HBA and find a useful purpose for the RAID controller on a Windows box or something.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@cyberjock this supermicro motherboard works only with 6xDIMMs ECC no Fully Buffered, about cpus i'm thinking 2x L5420 right now ... maybe too much..?!:confused:

You are right. Sorry about that. I thougth all X7 Supermicro boards used FBDIMMs. Doesn't really help the fact that socket 771 is a power hog. I remember I had a dual socket 771 back in the day that used DDR2 and it idled at almost 200w. By comparison, my X9SCM-F with an E3-1230v2 idles at 35w.

Fox

Explorer
right now changing all fans (is damn loud!!)

Good job, looks nice..

I'm curious how quiet you manage to get it. I am considering a similar situation, and before I buy I am curious how quiet I can get the enclosure.

Raffaele

Cadet

Good job, looks nice..

I'm curious how quiet you manage to get it. I am considering a similar situation, and before I buy I am curious how quiet I can get the enclosure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJRUL-jBMU

this is just a general idea about the mod. mine will be really less noisy

when i'll change all fans i upload a short video :)

You are right. Sorry about that. I thougth all X7 Supermicro boards used FBDIMMs. Doesn't really help the fact that socket 771 is a power hog. I remember I had a dual socket 771 back in the day that used DDR2 and it idled at almost 200w. By comparison, my X9SCM-F with an E3-1230v2 idles at 35w.

only 35w?? looks like a great solution...!! i'll check prices !

Honestly, I am normally more verbose but with tapatalk on a smartphone I tend to get to the point.
REGARDLESS of whether or not Adaptec provides a FreeBSD driver, the fact of the matter is that ZFS is designed to BE your RAID controller, not to run on top of someone else's hardware RAID. This topic has been endlessly and pointlessly beaten to death. You lose all sorts of capabilities when running on top of a RAID controller. Get a nice HBA and find a useful purpose for the RAID controller on a Windows box or something.

thanks, now i i have to consider zfs or use another fs (like my adaptec + ext4). I read a lot about these two scenario but still have to make final decision (various tests with cons/pro)

Fox

Explorer
Cool video.. Helps a lot in evaluating how loud it is.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.