New i3 Build (2100T) - Sufficient for good performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illanair

Dabbler
So I've decided it is time to retire my old D510 Atom motherboard for a new i3 (mostly because the 2 SATA ports just isn't enough and hey - christmas time :rolleyes:)

I was wondering if something alike the 2100T is sufficient for adequate performance with FreeNAS8? I generally don't use my NAS for anything aside backups and streaming ~350-400Megabyte video files to my Wii (which my D510 has done quite well so far with WinS2003)

Along with a kit of 2x4GB budget RAM from Corsair.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That should be fine. What are your plans for the ZFS pool? (drives and pool configuration) It could make an impact on your RAM requirements if you are looking at something large. I run five 2TB drives in a RAIDZ1 with 8GB RAM, no problems at all. Unfortunately that is my maximum RAM size for this MB but it's enough.

FireWire2

Dabbler
Actually I would recommend you to use your D510 ATOM board...
It's more then enough horse power to streaming HD, the only problem that you have is storage space,
Which is VERY easy to solve.

Your TWO SATA ports means you can connect to TEN (10) HDD via stand-alone hardware raid SPM393-I
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JPUZWU/?tag=ozlp-20

There is no drivers or software to install.
1_ connect 5 drives
2_ create a raid volume such as RAID5 - example 5x 4TB HDD
3_ plug to SATA port
4_ FreeNAS will see a HUGE (16TB), protected single HDD

I built 40TB FreeNAS base on these controller - 20x WD 2TB green drives, occupied 4x SATA ports
Still two more ports for expand - for the last 3yrs (close to it) I replaced 2x HDD

joeschmuck

Old Man
Actually I would recommend you to use your D510 ATOM board...
It's more then enough horse power to streaming HD, the only problem that you have is storage space,
Which is VERY easy to solve.

Your TWO SATA ports means you can connect to TEN (10) HDD via stand-alone hardware raid SPM393-I
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JPUZWU/?tag=ozlp-20

There is no drivers or software to install.
1_ connect 5 drives
2_ create a raid volume such as RAID5 - example 5x 4TB HDD
3_ plug to SATA port
4_ FreeNAS will see a HUGE (16TB), protected single HDD

I built 40TB FreeNAS base on these controller - 20x WD 2TB green drives, occupied 4x SATA ports
Still two more ports for expand - for the last 3yrs (close to it) I replaced 2x HDD
That is a very pricy add-on part for which if it broke, you would need an exact replacement I suspect just to recover your data. I would suggest a simple add-on PCI-E card that way you are not locked into a specific model of hardware.

FireWire2

Dabbler
180w - 40tb nas

That is a very pricy add-on part for which if it broke, you would need an exact replacement I suspect just to recover your data. I would suggest a simple add-on PCI-E card that way you are not locked into a specific model of hardware.

I don't think there is PCI E slot in D510 ITX board.

There are plenty manufactures use the same JMB393 chip set out there. There is no lock in specific of hardware.
Here is what i built base on these JMICRON hardware raid...
40TB NAS with 180W power consumption

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't think there is PCI E slot in D510 ITX board.

There are plenty manufactures use the same JMB393 chip set out there. There is no lock in specific of hardware.

Here is what i built base on these JMICRON hardware raid...
40TB NAS with 180W power consumption

That is quite a gray area. Some Adaptec RAID controllers can create RAIDs and they can be cross-compatible. But some aren't even compatible between firmware versions! My old Adaptec required to upgrade from <v.X to v.Y before you could go to v.Z just to make sure the RAID array would 'upgrade' to the new firmware. If you went from v.X to v.Z you'd lose your array and all of its contents forever. Plus, if you took the array and plugged it back into any version prior to v.Z then you'd lose everything. Quite a few people had forum posts in that time frame that their RAID arrays were completely screwed up when they went from one controller to another and back not realizing from the release notes the consequences of their actions. They lost all data on the array.

So yeah, while I completely trust that if you buy a RAID controller and use it for a given array it will work I have zero faith that if I bought another controller of the same version it would necessarily work. That's why I'm moving away from hardware RAIDs as a general rule. I even question pass-through on some controllers because it doesn't work right. If you read the Highpoint controller sticky I talk about how passthrough isn't exactly always passthrough.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I "ditto" (remember that word?) what you say. If you buy a perticular controller, you should buy enough spares as well so you don't take a gamble on data recovery, especially with those high volumes of hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.