New build Storage Question

fahadshery

Contributor
Hi All,

I am thinking of retiring my old TrueNAS box and build a new one with 11 drives. The question is: Whats the best pool configuration for this setup? I was thinking of 2 pools with 6 drives in one and 5 in the other in raidz configuration for both pools? This will allow me to lose one drive per pool (So 2 in total) and will help increase the storage in the future a bit more easily? i.e if I stick all 11 drives in one pool then it might take ages to increase the storage size and the new size won't appear until all drives have been upgraded to the new storage size?
What's your opinion/suggestion on this pls?

Cheers,

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I use twelve drives in one pool, two vdevs of six drives each. That way Ihave one big space for all my files. It works for me.
If you want to maybe have a six drive pool at RAIDz2 as your primary storage, then you could have a five drive pool at RAIDz1 for your backup pool.

It just depends on your desired usage.

ccssid

Explorer
Hi All,

I am thinking of retiring my old TrueNAS box and build a new one with 11 drives. The question is: Whats the best pool configuration for this setup? I was thinking of 2 pools with 6 drives in one and 5 in the other in raidz configuration for both pools? This will allow me to lose one drive per pool (So 2 in total) and will help increase the storage in the future a bit more easily? i.e if I stick all 11 drives in one pool then it might take ages to increase the storage size and the new size won't appear until all drives have been upgraded to the new storage size?
What's your opinion/suggestion on this pls?

Cheers,
I have been using 10 drives in a single pool since 2017 raid z2. Never have had any issues. I did have 2 drives go bad. Originally started with 3 TB drives. Moved onto 4TB. All I could afford at the time. Was a very simple process moving from 3 to 4 TB. I now use the old drives in a backup freenas box. Converting an old pc. I now can back up all of my work files to one location, except my media files ( too large for the backup freenas). The media backup goes over to external USB drives.

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@fahadshery , can you elaborate a bit more on the current data volume, the expected growth rate, and the type of data (e.g. private photos vs. VMs)? The reason for my asking is that forward planning in IT has always been a tricky thing. So you could also start with e.g. 6 disks only in a RAIDZ2 for now and later add another one. But with the information provided, it is difficult to give targeted advice.