new build/install - slower than expected write speeds over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

pious_greek

Dabbler
I'm looking for a little direction on how to troubleshoot a potential network bottle neck.

I'm testing out a new freeNAS build for my home office which is a hardwired gigabit network. I've got 6 seagate ironwolf 8TB drives setup as one volume in raidz2 with one samba share (lz4 compression). Between my laptop (running ubuntu) and the freeNAS box are a pfsense router and linksys router (all gigabyte). My write speeds for uploading files (4K video) are only about 14MB/s.

Running iperf between the laptop and freenas yields about 50 MB/s TCP. Running iperf for UDP with a 1000m bandwidth yields over 100 MB/s. so i interpret this to mean that i have some headroom since i think gigabit would theoretically top out around 125 MB/s.

CPU and memory usage does not seem to be an issue at any point on the network.

obviously there is process of elimination and i can start eliminating nodes on the network, which is small enough, but are there any open software tools to help me analyze this? more accurate tools than iperf?

I'm currently burning in the hard drives, so i haven't eliminated a slow/faulty drive as the culprit, but while that is going on i'd like to test out the rest of the network. any suggestions would be appreciated.

FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
relatively default install for testing purposes.

Parts List:
Case: Fractal Design Node 804
PSU: BFG 550 (using it for testing only, will upgrade to more efficient)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F-O (Intel® Xeon® processor D-1518, Single socket FCBGA 1667; 4-Core, 8 Threads, 35W)
Memory: 2x 16GB Crucial RDIMM DDR4-2133 MT/S (PC4-2133) CL15 dual ranked x4based ECC Registered Server Memory CT2K16G4RFD4213
USBs: 2x Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB2
HDs: 6x Seagate IronWolf 8TB

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What kind of sharing are using on the server when you're doing a file transfer? It's most likely some sort of configuration issue with the sharing protocol.

I know it is samba. Details are the things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

m0nkey_

MVP
Going to need more information.

Please paste the output of ifconfig. Also post the result of iperf using the [ code ] tags. It'll also be interesting to know if you have configured any tunables (specifically autotune).

pious_greek

Dabbler
It's most likely some sort of configuration issue with the sharing protocol.

I know it is samba. Details are the things.

That makes more sense actually, I might have been a little premature in posting. I'm going to do a few days of research on the config settings while the box works through all the burn-in checks; then report back with more details.

Going to need more information.

Please paste the output of ifconfig. Also post the result of iperf using the [ code ] tags. It'll also be interesting to know if you have configured any tunables (specifically autotune).

I had a fairly vanilla install, mostly defaults, but I did in fact use the auto-tune... Once I work through the burn-in tests, I'll take a more systematic approach to testing and tweaking, and report back.

I appreciate the responses

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.