Hi there,

I just built my first Truenas Scale NAS. Configuration is below:

Dell Precision T7500 workstation
- 1x Intel Xeon E5620 4 cores/8 threads processor
- 48Gb DDR3 ECC RAM (Samsung 3 x 16Gb)
- Dell H310 controller flashed to IT mode
- 6 x 8Tb WD Ultrastar DC HC320 in Z2 config
- 32Gb Verbatim USB-stick as boot drive on internal USB

Capacity, based on 85% usage will be approx. 25Tb.
What I like about this machine is that it is very quiet.

It will be used for home/small business storage and Time Machine back-ups.
Any feedback on the config? Are the drives suitable for NAS use?

sfatula

Guru
They're CMR and SAS so don't see why not. I would want more threads if you can swing it. But if your use is light enough, it will work. Really though if you want feedback, I'd add more details on uses and future uses.

Davvo

MVP
Don't move the system dataset to the boot drive and it will last you long.
Your RAM configuration is unusual.

Beside this I don't see anything particular (not that you gave us much to work with xD), it's good! Maybe the CPU is a bit overpowered depending on your usage.

They're CMR and SAS so don't see why not. I would want more threads if you can swing it. But if your use is light enough, it will work. Really though if you want feedback, I'd add more details on uses and future uses.
Thans for the feedback. The drives are not SAS but SATA.

Regarding threads, you were referring to processor threads? I could swap the quad core for a six core, and/or add a second processor, but that would also require a special daughter card and probably additional RAM.

As for use, for start it will be used to as a general storage device for personal use (back-up of pictures & videos archive), Time Machine backups, and general storage/backup for a small business (archive of documents, training materials and so on). In the future I may also play with virtual machines and other apps, but not exactly sure about that.
Don't move the system dataset to the boot drive and it will last you long.
Your RAM configuration is unusual.

Beside this I don't see anything particular (not that you gave us much to work with xD), it's good! Maybe the CPU is a bit overpowered depending on your usage.
I'm not sure where the system dataset is, but I guess that by default is on the boot drive?
Is it a good practice not to have it on the boot drive or is it just bad in my care as it is a USB drive?
I have a couple of old 60Gb SSDs; should I replace the USB boot drive with one of these?

Regarding RAM configuration why is it unusual? It is a triple channel system so I could have either 24Gb or 48Gb of RAM.
The previous comment mentioned that I could get more threads but you are saying it's overpowered so I'm not sure which way to go.
I got the processor by default with the system so it is what it is.

I got the chassis with the processor for free and I bought the H310 controller + cables + drives + memory for 800 EUR + VAT.

sfatula

Guru
Threads not necessarily = power if you mean speed. How many users? If you are going to use VMs, more threads is better (yes, processor threads) so that's up to you. If not many users, sounds like very light usage. I was not suggesting a second CPU, just processors with more threads if you see that coming up down the line. It always depends on usage though. I suppose you could upgrade it later should it come to that. More than enough power for what I am viewing your use as.

It will see quite light usage; 4 users, but occasionally accessing it.
As I will go into VMs I will watch the load and consider upgrading the CPU and/or adding a second one.

Redcoat

MVP
I'm not sure where the system dataset is, but I guess that by default is on the boot drive?
If you created a pool, by default the system dataset will have been moved to it (to the first pool). You do not want the system dataset on a USB stick as the frequent writes will kill it.

Davvo

MVP
Is it a good practice not to have it on the boot drive or is it just bad in my care as it is a USB drive?
I have a couple of old 60Gb SSDs; should I replace the USB boot drive with one of these?
The system dataset is in the first pool created (so not in the boot pool); moving it into the boot pool is the most common cause of early death of USB sticks.

Is it ok to have the boot on a USB stick or shall I move it to a 60Gb SSD drive?
Which is more reliable, a relatively new 32Gb USB stick or a very old 60Gb SSD drive?

Redcoat

MVP
Is it ok to have the boot on a USB stick or shall I move it to a 60Gb SSD drive?
Which is more reliable, a relatively new 32Gb USB stick or a very old 60Gb SSD drive?
I would move it to the SSD. I assume that SSD is presently on a SATA port - if at some time you need to reclain that for a data drive, buy a USB to SATA converter and use it with an open USB port and the SSD.