BUILD New Build Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdgenxr

Contributor
After reading through the various guides here and around, I've taken the plunge and purchased all the hardware to replace my aging WSH v1. Here's my components:
  • ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX
  • Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B
  • 4 X HITACHI 0F14697 Deskstar 5K4000 4TB
  • Existing Node 304 case
  • Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power PLUS BRONZE Certified
I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggested configurations as FreeNAS is new to me along with the various RAID configurations. On my WHS, I have shared directories for TV Shows, Movies, Music etc and wondered how to configure all the various shares. Should they each be separate directories or one directory called shares?

Thanks guys and I'm open to suggestions, criticisms and opinions.

sdgenxr

Contributor
Another item I'd like to consider is a UPS but I'm unsure as to what size I would need. Any suggestions.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds good. Is that PSU new? I thought they'd stopped making the EarthWatts.

As for the UPS, depends on the battery time you want. Mine (see sig.) is typically loaded in the low 100ish watts (FreeNAS + pfSense Router + 8 port gigabit switch) and estimates a battery life of approximately one hour.

sdgenxr

Contributor
Yes, the PSU is about a year old.

Ideally, I'd like to have the UPS last around 10-15 minutes, long enough to keep the system up for short power interruptions.

AlainD

Contributor
Sounds good. Is that PSU new? I thought they'd stopped making the EarthWatts.

As for the UPS, depends on the battery time you want. Mine (see sig.) is typically loaded in the low 100ish watts (FreeNAS + pfSense Router + 8 port gigabit switch) and estimates a battery life of approximately one hour.

Did you buy the pfSense as a unit or build it you're self?

I'm thinking for a pfSense box for my internet connection (about 30-50 mbps down, 4 up).

Status
Not open for further replies.