BUILD New Build and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prkl8r

Dabbler
Good Day,

I have parts on the way but decided to post just to make sure there isn't anything I totally effed up here.

I decided to go with:
Mobo - SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150

CPU - Intel Xeon E3 1231V3 3.5GHz

RAM - 4x Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT102472BA160B (32GB total RAM)

PSP - FSP Group VITAL 400 400W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply

Case - Fractal Design Node 804 Black Aluminum / Steel Micro ATX Cube Case

I already have 4x 2TB drives from a current FreeNAS build I am planning on moving over. But would like to add 4x 4TB drives in a second pool.

Questions:
1. My mobo has 6 SATA ports, it looks like the IBM Serveraid M1015 card is the best choice here?
2. In looking at a site that sells it for a pretty decent price it states no bracket, I'm not familiar with these cards so are there other parts I need to plug sata ports into this? Sorry, just not finding exactly what I'm going to need and would like to avoid TOO many trips to microcenter or online orders.
3. If I go this route thinking of adding a small SSD for the boot. Looks like anything will work but are there any gotcha's I need to worry about?

Thanks so much for any input! I have ordered most of this stuff already but figure I double check before I rip it all open and have trouble returning.

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
RAM - Crucial 8GB

I believe you need to run dual ram sticks. Do you intend to go for 2x8Gbyte?
IBM Serveraid M1015 card is the best choice here?
It is commonly used, once crossflashed to IT mode.
Or get a 9211-8i.
Make sure firmware matches the current supported driver (20).
are there other parts I need to plug sata ports into this?
You will need 2x "SFF 8087 break out cable". Each grants 4 SATA ports.
If I go this route thinking of adding a small SSD for the boot.
Good. If you got any older laying around, you can always attach them as mirrors. Be sure to install FIRST on the smallest SSD, otherwise the 'attach' wont be accepted. (2nd drive needs to be same size or larger).

Prkl8r

Dabbler
@Dice

Thanks! I forgot to add that I ordered 4x 8gb chips, so 32gb total.

As far as the 9211-8i vs the M1015 is there a general preference? I see they run about the same price.

Thanks for the cable info, I'll grab a couple of those.

Good info. If I can find cheap enough, i'd like to have two mirrored boot drives.

Thanks again!

Dice

Wizard
9211-8i vs the M1015 is there a general preference?
They are said to be the same chipset. I would've chosen the 9211-8i. It is IT ready as shipped, for which you would need to flash the 1015. Another point I've seen swimming around the forums is the limit of 32 drives on the 1015 due to some sourcery by IBM, whereas this is higher on the 9211-8i if I remember correctly. (256?)

You would only need 2x 8087 sata break out cables, one for each slot on the HBA.
Stating the obvious: It is not the same cable used for the motherboard (standard SATA cables).

Cheers/

Last edited:

Prkl8r

Dabbler
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and ordered the LSI card to avoid needed to go through the flash process. Thanks again everyone.

snicke

Explorer
Hope it will work well for you @Prkl8r. Careful though. See third posting here.

And you probably still need to reflash your card to driver version P20?

Last edited:

Prkl8r

Dabbler
Hope it will work well for you @Prkl8r. Careful though. See third posting here.

And you probably still need to reflash your card to driver version P20?

I did see that info from your post. I did get one from China but it showed it in an unopened box and a pretty high seller rating. There were a couple others that were a bit cheaper that seemed a bit sketchier. Figure I'd roll the dice and see what happens (plus I figure worse case I can always try out that purchase protection on my credit card :smile: ).
Ah, not a huge deal if I have to flash just seemed to be a bit more straight forward with the LSI. Thanks.

Prkl8r

Dabbler
@snike Just got my card. Was in the original box with FW CD and docs. So either someone spent a crapload of time forging it all or it's a legit card. Haven't had a chance to install it yet but pretty happy thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.