New 9.3 install on install of Transmission Plugin over 1hr+

Status
Not open for further replies.

moltra

Dabbler
I just installed 9.3 on a desktop with a AMD Phenom 8400 triple core and 4 GB of memory. Installed on a 14Gb lexar USB key.

It has been installing the Transmission plugin for over an hour and still only 2/4 creating templates 46%/85% .
Is this normal? all the drives connected to the computer are USB. Connected to a 30M cable internet connection.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
There is so much wrong with your installation that the only appropriate response is to read the manual before you go any further.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
that's seems absurdly slow. maybe your pool is really slow so reading+uncompressing+writing the jail template is taking forever?

once the first jail is installed others are just clones, so almost no disk activity is needed.

my advice, don't run storage on USB (use HDDs connected by sata) and 4gb of RAM is too low to be running plugins reliably

moltra

Dabbler
I am going to build a new computer to install Freenas on in a couple of months, researching and saving money to buy the components now. I am going to be transitioning thee 1TB drives to the server as I can copy the data off them and on to other drives. The drives are currently in a VLM configuration from a Debian server I have been running for a couple of years.

moltra

Dabbler
Until I get the new computer built, would it be better to downgrade to a prior version of freenas?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Until I get the new computer built, would it be better to downgrade to a prior version of freenas?
I don't see how that would make any difference. I don't understand how you are connecting LVM drives by USB, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as you know what you eventually need to do.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well that's good to know because what you are trying to do now is a lesson in futility. If you approach your current setup from from the perspective of using it to learn the interface and get familiar with it you'll be ok. But expect to run into problems, much like the current one, until you get on proper hardware. And I wouldn't commit anything to those hard drives that you're not willing to lose until you do.

moltra

Dabbler
the lvm drives are SATA and will be connected straight to the motherboard. The USB drive is just temporary so I can start moving files to it and freeing up the SATA drives so I can remove them from the LVM.

Status
Not open for further replies.