New 9.10 box, AD join fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny1

Cadet
Hi!

New Setup 9.10 (tried with and without latest updates) AD join to Samba PDC (other FreeNAS 9.10 as DC) fails:

Strong(er) authentication required, BindSimple: Transport encryption required.

I attempt to join a AD which is made out of (another) FreeNAS 9.10 box, which works fine, other machines can join, AD is working without any problem that I would notice.

This problem which is a pain to so many is not properly addressed anywhere, some "could be would be" solutions or hints that anything could be found in other posts, but obviously this is a VERY SERIOUS bug.
As someone who spent a few decades developing stuff for IT i ask you guys to think about the in general very unfortunate development of IT stuff where devs tend to put more and more features inside their works, but do definitely loose the sense for stability and consistency. (and it seems to be a hobby to over and over again change menus and dialogs and do not maintain the docs.... what a waste of time to try to look up the docu for such problems....on a global scale millions of precious hours are going down the drain.)
And I ask you, do important stuff (fixing of terrible bugs) first, THEN add features

Besides that words of criticism thank you for you work! As someone who spent a lot of time coding for unpaid projects i know how much work it is and I really appreciate that many others do the same!

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:

denny1

Cadet
Note that this sub-forum is for discussing possible bugs before reporting them at bugs.freenas.org.

This sounds like a configuration issue. Did you try the advice in https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cant-join-to-samba-ad-dc.43513/ ?

Thanx for the answer, yes i have read this post (as countless others) but it does not help me get my box running again, as it requires probably a few days trial and error doing stuff i do not fully understand because it is simply not clear enough what to do, IF this is the problem indeed.

The Point is... it worked before, it does not work after an upgrade to 9.10. Besides 2 days of wasting time trying stuff out I even tried setting up a new DC, a new 9.10 box and it DOES NOT WORK, so that means what it means, IT DOES NOT WORK. So clearly there is something wrong with 9.10 and if there are additional steps necessary to get it running then those steps should be done by some built in scripts, OR take the feature out, and tell people in 9.10 you cannot use it connecting to a Samba DC anymore! That is exactly my point, when something breaks is should get fixed.... here the way of handling problems seems to be ...well it's free, so you cant expect it to function, and you have to try this and that, and this is definitely NOT the way software should work. There is a GUI provided with simple steps, that creates an impression and expectation that it is simple to use, BUT IT OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT WORK...that costs a lot of time, money and anger. I someone creates a software, even for free, then there is an obligation to do it right, which is clearly not the case here. (Or would someone like to hear from the medic or fireman which might work as a volunteer something like... well, i am working for free, so do not expect i know what i am doing? No, we would not like to hear that... because we expect that people who take over a job, even an unpaid one, know what they are doing.

And considering the countless posts and desperate trial and error behaviour of many others i am obviously not the only one who has this problem. With 9.3 it worked without any problems, with 9.10 it does not, which is BAD, because the upgrade to 9.10 (which was said to be a stable release) created enormous problems and cost me very much time, money and effort, which is not funny. I really wished developers would understand better about such problems and what they might cause, and i wished they would put more emphasis in reliability and bugfixing then in adding new features or doing some new fancy graphics.

Danny

Danny

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Thanx for the answer, yes i have read this post (as countless others) but it does not help me get my box running again, as it requires probably a few days trial and error doing stuff i do not fully understand because it is simply not clear enough what to do, IF this is the problem indeed.

The Point is... it worked before, it does not work after an upgrade to 9.10. Besides 2 days of wasting time trying stuff out I even tried setting up a new DC, a new 9.10 box and it DOES NOT WORK, so that means what it means, IT DOES NOT WORK. So clearly there is something wrong with 9.10 and if there are additional steps necessary to get it running then those steps should be done by some built in scripts, OR take the feature out, and tell people in 9.10 you cannot use it connecting to a Samba DC anymore! That is exactly my point, when something breaks is should get fixed.... here the way of handling problems seems to be ...well it's free, so you cant expect it to function, and you have to try this and that, and this is definitely NOT the way software should work. There is a GUI provided with simple steps, that creates an impression and expectation that it is simple to use, BUT IT OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT WORK...that costs a lot of time, money and anger. I someone creates a software, even for free, then there is an obligation to do it right, which is clearly not the case here. (Or would someone like to hear from the medic or fireman which might work as a volunteer something like... well, i am working for free, so do not expect i know what i am doing? No, we would not like to hear that... because we expect that people who take over a job, even an unpaid one, know what they are doing.

And considering the countless posts and desperate trial and error behaviour of many others i am obviously not the only one who has this problem. With 9.3 it worked without any problems, with 9.10 it does not, which is BAD, because the upgrade to 9.10 (which was said to be a stable release) created enormous problems and cost me very much time, money and effort, which is not funny. I really wished developers would understand better about such problems and what they might cause, and i wished they would put more emphasis in reliability and bugfixing then in adding new features or doing some new fancy graphics.

Danny

Danny
Would you be willing to make a ticket and provide some technical details for us over @ bugs.freenas.org? One of our QA guys confirmed this is an issue. It'd be good if the developers can look at this in more detail.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
If you find something where the docs are not update, please let us know. A lot of people have put in a lot of effort on them, but it changes continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.