New 8 TB HDD not recognized (FreeNAS 9.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkS-Indy

Dabbler
I am trying to replace an 8TB HDD that is reporting errors, with a new 8TB HDD, same make and model. I take the old HDD offline, but the system does not recognize the new HDD, as it does not appear in the list of available drives when I try to replace the old drive. Any recommendations as to what I may be doing wrong, or what I should be doing to do this replacement? I do not remember having this issue with other HDDs I have replaced in the array.
Also, I have booted another PC using a GParted boot disk, and Gparted sees the drive just fine, so I am pretty sure it is not an issue with the HDD.
Thanks for any help.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hardware specs?

MarkS-Indy

Dabbler
Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz
32GB ECC DDR3
10x8TB RaidZ2
FreeNAS 9.3 Stable

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz
32GB ECC DDR3
10x8TB RaidZ2
FreeNAS 9.3 Stable
Not enough detail. What drive controller are you using? How are the drives connected to the system? Exactly what model drive are you using?
Details make a difference.
Please read the following post:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

It gives some guidance on what you should be telling us, before we even ask the question, so we don't have to play a game of 50 questions to get the details we need to be able to help you.

Help us help you. Don't assume that we know what you have in your system.

MarkS-Indy

Dabbler
IBM LSI ServeRAID M1015 SAS SATA PCIe RAID Controller 46M0861 SAS9220-8i, flashed to LSI-0211-IT mode
SAS expander is Intel model RES2SV240

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201604150515
HDD WD80EZ 8TB

As I mentioned earlier, I have replaced a HDD in this array before without issue, so I am a bit confused as to why I am having this problem with the system not acknowledging the replacement drive when inserted. I have tried both hot-swap and system shutdown to replace the drive. Same result.

Last edited:

MarkS-Indy

Dabbler
Yes. Are you suggesting running diagnostics on this drive? In order to do that, would not the OS have to detect the drive? I have had this drive detected on Win7 and Linux Mint 18.1, which makes it doubly confusing that FreeNAS is not detecting it.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Was this shucked from an Easystore?

@Jailer bought some on Black Friday and one of his won't complete a "badblock" test.
It did finally complete the SMART test is was hung up on and seems to be fine. I didn't update the thread with the results.

rvassar

Guru
Any chance this is a SATA 3.3 drive and your NAS has an older power supply that supplies 3.3 volts on power connector pin 3? This hangs SATA 3.3 drives in a power save mode. Easy fix is to connect the drive via a 4-pin molex to SATA conversion cable.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
an older power supply that supplies 3.3 volts on power connector pin 3?
Otherwise known as "a power supply that meets all ATX specifications".

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Any chance this is a SATA 3.3 drive and your NAS has an older power supply that supplies 3.3 volts on power connector pin 3? This hangs SATA 3.3 drives in a power save mode. Easy fix is to connect the drive via a 4-pin molex to SATA conversion cable.
If it's a white label drive this is likely the problem. I had to use molex to sata connectors to get mine powered up.

rvassar

Guru
Otherwise known as "a power supply that meets all ATX specifications".

Yep, afraid so... But specs change with time, and it is a known way to lock up SATA 3.3 compliant drives.

MarkS-Indy

Dabbler
The backplane of the server case connects 4 drives via a molex connector from the power supply, times 5 rows (one molex for each row). I cannot say for sure how the backplane is distributing power to each pin of the SATA connectors. I guess I will have to look into that.

Note: All of the 8TB drives are "white label" drives, and the last time I replaced one, I had no issues.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But specs change with time
But that's the thing: It's not like dropping -5V, which nothing used, it literally breaks with all fully-compliant power sources. The only reason it doesn't break with disks is that manufacturers have been too scared of molex-to-SATA adapters to ever seriously use the 3.3V rails.

This irritates me to no end. It is a useless change that breaks nearly everything for zero gain, its only function is to give crap firmware developers a reason to say "oh well, it's okay if the disk crashes and needs a power cycle" - and that part irritates me even more.

rvassar

Guru
But that's the thing: It's not like dropping -5V, which nothing used, it literally breaks with all fully-compliant power sources. The only reason it doesn't break with disks is that manufacturers have been too scared of molex-to-SATA adapters to ever seriously use the 3.3V rails.

This irritates me to no end. It is a useless change that breaks nearly everything for zero gain, its only function is to give crap firmware developers a reason to say "oh well, it's okay if the disk crashes and needs a power cycle" - and that part irritates me even more.

You're preaching to the Choir brother. I'm just trying to help the guy replace his failing device. ;)

MarkS-Indy

Dabbler
Did some testing of the drive on a Linux box. Result: It is a PWDIS problem. Waiting to hear back from the case manufacturer, but it looks like I will have to acquire a new case that has a backplane that supports SATA 3.3 going forward. We were thinking about a new case anyway, and this forces our hand. Do not want to be left unable to replace failed drives in the future.

Thanks to all that have pointed me in the right direction on this "problem". o_O

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The backplane of the server case connects 4 drives via a molex connector
So they actually went to the trouble of locally regulating it down to 3.3 V, only for it to make things more difficult for users?

MarkS-Indy

Dabbler
So they actually went to the trouble of locally regulating it down to 3.3 V, only for it to make things more difficult for users?

Apparently. I am waiting to hear back from the manufacturer, but my guess is that in developing the backplane, they went full compliance with the spec that was in place at the time, after all, most people want their hardware to be fully compliant with specifications.

As I indicated in my last post, when I connected this drive to a SATA power connector coming out of the PS in my Linux box, the BIOS failed to recognize the drive, but when it was connected through the molex to SATA adapter, no problemo!

Looks like "upgrade" time :confused::mad:

MAC_Addy

Dabbler
When I shucked my drives, I had to cover one of the pins with some kapton tape. Worked like a charm.

MarkS-Indy

Dabbler
When I shucked my drives, I had to cover one of the pins with some kapton tape. Worked like a charm.

Yes, I read about that and I am heading out to Fry's when they open to pick up some Kapton tape :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.