New 24-Bay Drive setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpaca

Dabbler
Embarking on a new build for a production environment. Storage array will be used for a media archiving solution, connected via 10be NFS. Original files along with the web displayed thumbnails will be all be stored on this array. The typical access patterns will consist of sequential writes (uploading content) followed by fairly random reads (searching and downloading individual files). Supermicro box with dual 6-core Xeon, 64GB ram (may be 128 when all is said and done), and 24 drive bays. Aside from SSD Zil, I will be using Seagate ES.3 SAS drives.

I am going to use 2xSSDs for the ZIL (have tested for my workload and this does have benefit). Down to 22 Drive Bays. Likely will want to have a drive or two on standby as cold spare, call it 2 spares, down to 20 drive bays. My question for the forum: Ten x 2-drive mirrored vdevs VS. Two x 10-drive RaidZ-2 vdevs. I understand the the dramatic difference in total usable capacity, does anyone have any real world experience with performance increases one way or the other. Once the build gets going, I will likely test both ways and can post results back here. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation based on actual use.

Thanks

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
How many concurrent users will you have? Note that a vdev can have the write IOPS of a single disk. Your slog will somewhat mitigate that limitation, but there may be some times when physics will eat your lunch. I'd probably play it safe and go with mirrors (as long as I will still have enough storage capacity).Things that work in a test environment can really suck in production.

AlainD

Contributor
Embarking on a new build for a production environment. Storage array will be used for a media archiving solution, connected via 10be NFS. Original files along with the web displayed thumbnails will be all be stored on this array. The typical access patterns will consist of sequential writes (uploading content) followed by fairly random reads (searching and downloading individual files). Supermicro box with dual 6-core Xeon, 64GB ram (may be 128 when all is said and done), and 24 drive bays. Aside from SSD Zil, I will be using Seagate ES.3 SAS drives.

I am going to use 2xSSDs for the ZIL (have tested for my workload and this does have benefit). Down to 22 Drive Bays. Likely will want to have a drive or two on standby as cold spare, call it 2 spares, down to 20 drive bays. My question for the forum: Ten x 2-drive mirrored vdevs VS. Two x 10-drive RaidZ-2 vdevs. I understand the the dramatic difference in total usable capacity, does anyone have any real world experience with performance increases one way or the other. Once the build gets going, I will likely test both ways and can post results back here. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation based on actual use.

Thanks
What's the size of the files?

Media files tend to be large, even tumbnails, and read completely. I don't expect 4KB IO, but rather 128-512KB or far larger.

BTW I also find the benefid for the ZIl strange, I would expect async IO for the upload.

Status
Not open for further replies.