SOLVED Networking blips every 5 minutes, RX 1.5Gb/hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfleckc

Cadet

Hi there, I'm new to freenas & I'm noticing in my networking reporting, when there's no other activity on the network, constant blips every 5 minutes or so, and on average the freenas box is receiving 1.5Gb every hour - anyone seen this before?

Kind Regards,

Jonathan

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you would like some assistance please follow our forum rules and post the required information, in your case it would be what version of FreeNAS you are running, the basic hardware specs, and what software you have installed (jails/plugins). Also don't post just a fragment of the data as you did above, it lacks content. By following our simple forum rules if will allow us to provide you a quick and hopefully accurate response.

But my gut instinct says that this is normal for whatever you have installed. If you do not have anything installed then also list which services you have enabled. Lastly, while I'm fairly sure this is FreeNAS, what if it were something else on your network causing this, it's possible but I doubt it right now, given the limited data provided.

Also, welcome to the forums.

-Joe

jfleckc

Cadet
Apologies, Joe, rebuke accepted.

FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2)
Services enabled: SSH, SMB, AFP, SMART
No plugins
I have one jail setup for fdupes, but the blips have been happening well before that was installed
Hardware: Storinator 45 Enhanced (Supermicro X10SRL motherboard, Intel Xeon E52620, 128GB RAM, 2xRocket 750 HBAs, X540T2BLK 10GbE NIC)
5 x 6-wide VDEVs (30 x 4TB WD Gold HDs).

Let me know what further data I need to provide.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Turn off SMB and AFP one at a time to see which one might be causing this. Also please provide a full screen capture of the Reporting -> Network tab. I'd like to see what it all looks like.

jfleckc

Cadet
So it looks like after 2 weeks of constant blips, the blipping has stopped. I turned off all services, the blipping stopped, and then re-enabled SMB, and the blipping resumed. So I found a thread on this forum for enabling SMB auditing (full_audit), to try and trace what was happening - I followed the steps to set this up, and bizarrely, doing this caused the blipping to stop. I removed the full_audit auxiliary parameters, did a full reboot, and still, no more blipping, so issue solved!! Strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.