Network suddenly stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
My file server vanished from the LAN, and when I reboot and watch the console (via IPMI) it says that no network interface is configured. I choose 1 from the menu, and the desired interface device igb1, and it asks me to confirm "reset". That's all it does: no choice of manual configuration or viewing of the information.

Choosing 9 (shell) and then ifconfig, I get (see screenshot attached).

Strange, it's not telling me the IP address. But, during bootup, it seems to have obtained one via DHCP just fine; I noticed an IP address go by that was in the expected subnet range. But I don't know how to review the boot log to go check in more detail.

The lights on the ports on both ends of the patch cord are on. It says "active" in ifconfig.

What am I missing?

Please help: I have no access to the file server at the moment.

Attachments

• 000044.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 366

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
First things first. Does it have an IP?

Two obvious ways to check this:

1) Go into your router, and look at the address assignments, see if you have one for the FreeNAS box
2) Download "fing" for your cell phone, run it on your wi-fi network, and if your FreeNAS has an IP, it'll tell you.

Sakuru

Guru
Choose #9 and run ifconfig.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
First things first. Does it have an IP?

The client list does not show any entry (IPv4 or IPv6) for the FreeNAS.

How can I review the boot log, to see what it reported after initializing the network? I thought I saw a reasonable IP address mentioned as it went by quite fast.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
HELP! I don't know how to get this working again.

I bought a new Intel (genuine name brand) NIC and put it in, and disabled the on-board LAN.

I switched cables around and changed ports in the switch.

Now I get a network device name of "em0", but it behaves the same way: "No configured interfaces were found". Choosing (1) from the menu, it offers to Reset it, but nothing changes.

The indicator lights are on (speed=1000) on both the NIC and the switch for this connection.

ifconfig shows em0 is active, media autoselected at 1000baseT. But no IP addresses.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
If the indicator lights are on, you have a connection. To what have you connected this computer, sir? Your router? A switch? Who is providing the DHCP?

m0nkey_

MVP
Silly question, but have you tried setting a static IP address? Don't forge to set your default gateway and DNS addresses from the menu.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
Silly question, but have you tried setting a static IP address? Don't forge to set your default gateway and DNS addresses from the menu.

The menu item (1) only offers to "reset" the network connection. It never gets to anyplace where I might manually configure. Just answer Yes to the prompt, and it's back at the menu.

If the indicator lights are on, you have a connection. To what have you connected this computer, sir? Your router? A switch? Who is providing the DHCP?

A gigabit switch.

DHCP is provided by the Arris appliance that comes with my broadband service.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
More information:

With the current hardware configuration (Intel NIC card), I took out the FreeNAS USB stick and booted PartedMagic. It works with the network just fine, and I can open a Firefox browser and read web pages e.g. en.wikipedia.org. I can see it (both IPv4 and IPv6) in the Client List of the gateway router.

So, it is something odd about the FreeNAS installation, for sure.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The menu item (1) only offers to "reset" the network connection. It never gets to anyplace where I might manually configure. Just answer Yes to the prompt, and it's back at the menu.
Yes. So say No to it, and it will let you configure the interface.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
Update:

I reinstalled a fresh FreeNAS onto a new USB flashdrive, and Uploaded my configuration. I used a year-old file that I made, so as to avoid any corruption in the current USB stick. That has different woes now: I started a new thread for this.

m0nkey_

MVP
Stop what you're doing. The last thing you want to do now is introduce new variables which will only make matters worse. Re-installing and recovering from a config from a year old config isn't the way to fix this.

Did you even attempt to set a static IP address? @wblock advised on how to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayden67

Dabbler
Please help, I seem to be experiencing the same issue as the OP; two nights ago my FreeNAS server dropped of the network. It has been up and running with no problems for months with no recent configuration changes. The server lost connection while backing up data to a recently configured QNAP TVS-EC1080 NAS using SyncBack, if that's of any relevance.

My FreeNAS server is connected by Ethernet cable to a Netgear Nighthawk router The network activity lights on the server and router are blinking, but FreeNAS is not getting an IP address. FreeNAS (and the Plex jail) have static IPs set in the router, but they're not showing in the list of connected devices. I do not have Fing, so installed nmap on Ubuntu and scanned my network. The results are the same; I see every device on the network except the FreeNAS server. The FreeNAS console shows the IP of 0.0.0.0.

I ran IFCONFIG from the shell as requested, but I don't have the Supermicro IPMI software. The output of the command is :
Code:
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mty 65536
	nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	 options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
	 inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
 	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xc
	 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
 	nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	 ether 02:d7:3b:66:55:00
	id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
	maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
	 root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
	member: epair0a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
	 	ifmaxaddr 0 port 14 priority 128 path cost 2000
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
 	options=8<VLAN_MTU>
 	ether 02:d3:65:00:0e:0a
	 md6 options=9<PREFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
 	media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)

Also on the following message is output to the FreeNAS console every 16 minutes and 2 seconds:
Code:

freenas ntpd_initres[2564]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[2564]: host name not found: 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[2564]: host name not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

I apologize if I have made any errors in the transcription.

The troubleshooting steps I have tried so far are rebooting the router and FreeNAS, and switching the ports the Ethernet cables are plugged into. On one reboot, FreeNAS got an IP address; I was able to log into the web GUI, but it dropped off the network again in less than an hour.

The last advice given in this thread was to try setting a static IP from the FreeNAS console. How do I do that?
I selected “1” from the menu and it gives me a choice of 1) igb0 and 2) igb1 I assume this is because I have multiple Ethernet ports. I then select option “1”, “N” for the Reset Network Configuration and “Y” for Configure IPv4 question. But I don't know what to enter next for the Interface Name.

m0nkey_

MVP
Please help, I seem to be experiencing the same issue as the OP; two nights ago my FreeNAS server dropped of the network. It has been up and running with no problems for months with no recent configuration changes. The server lost connection while backing up data to a recently configured QNAP TVS-EC1080 NAS using SyncBack, if that's of any relevance.

My FreeNAS server is connected by Ethernet cable to a Netgear Nighthawk router The network activity lights on the server and router are blinking, but FreeNAS is not getting an IP address. FreeNAS (and the Plex jail) have static IPs set in the router, but they're not showing in the list of connected devices. I do not have Fing, so installed nmap on Ubuntu and scanned my network. The results are the same; I see every device on the network except the FreeNAS server. The FreeNAS console shows the IP of 0.0.0.0.

I ran IFCONFIG from the shell as requested, but I don't have the Supermicro IPMI software. The output of the command is :
Code:
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mty 65536
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	 options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
	 inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
	 inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xc
	 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
	 nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	 ether 02:d7:3b:66:55:00
	id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
	maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
	 root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
	member: epair0a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
		 ifmaxaddr 0 port 14 priority 128 path cost 2000
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	 options=8<VLAN_MTU>
	 ether 02:d3:65:00:0e:0a
	 md6 options=9<PREFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
	 media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)

Also on the following message is output to the FreeNAS console every 16 minutes and 2 seconds:
Code:
freenas ntpd_initres[2564]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[2564]: host name not found: 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[2564]: host name not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

I apologize if I have made any errors in the transcription.

The troubleshooting steps I have tried so far are rebooting the router and FreeNAS, and switching the ports the Ethernet cables are plugged into. On one reboot, FreeNAS got an IP address; I was able to log into the web GUI, but it dropped off the network again in less than an hour.

The last advice given in this thread was to try setting a static IP from the FreeNAS console. How do I do that?
I selected “1” from the menu and it gives me a choice of 1) igb0 and 2) igb1 I assume this is because I have multiple Ethernet ports. I then select option “1”, “N” for the Reset Network Configuration and “Y” for Configure IPv4 question. But I don't know what to enter next for the Interface Name.
Please create your own thread.

Snake3y3s

Explorer
you had any further luck on this?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

danb35

Hall of Famer
you had any further luck on this?
How many dead threads are you going to revive? Start your own thread with your own question.

Status
Not open for further replies.