Network speed is 100MBit instead of 1GBit

BdmRt

Cadet
Hi,

i an new and tried searching for my problem first, so please excuse me if I did not find a solution.
I’ve built a low cost Mini Server with used parts, just to let go from my previous Synology. I tested it properly with memtest and watched out for the temps, it was fine. I’ve read the overview of the documentation for all aspects, so I think I understood how the system works in general.
My spec is CPU: Core i3-4160, Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-6LASH, RAM: 14GB 12800 DDR3 ECC, 2x4TB WD RED mirrored in a pool(like before in my Synology).
The LAN ports are Intel I210-AT.
Now after some stressful days I managed to install and start my Nextcloud in a jail, with HTTPS and proper DNS setup. I mounted specific Datasets into the Nextcloud jail, so it looks nice to me Right now.
I wanted to move my data from my synology drive to the new locations from an external drive, but could not manage to plug in an USB to the server itself, so I started copying from my network with LAN cable plugged in, since 1GBit should be fast enough for those near 1TB of data I have. I got disappointing speeds at near 8MB/s with a SMB share. First I thought it’s because of smallish files, but that does not seem to be the issue. My Fritz 7490 shows me 100MBit LAN, as well as TrueNAS in the overview and network Interface.
The lan cable is fine, router setting is fine also, no eco mode. What should I do right now to get better speeds inside my network? I have a 50/10 DSL, it’s enough for me, but at home I want to work with bigger file sizes at better performance.
Are there general tools or how to‘s to analyze the TrueNAS server, like Performance and bottlenecks, to figure weak points out and just to know what could be better.
I don’t need a big system for my tasks, just to know if something is faulty or not running well.
Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
1GBit should be fast enough for those near 1TB of data I have.
Networks are never as fast as advertised. Never.
but could not manage to plug in an USB to the server itself, so I started copying from my network with LAN
The most likely source for the slow transfer speed is the USB drive.
The lan cable is fine, router setting is fine also, no eco mode. What should I do right now to get better speeds inside my network? I have a 50/10 DSL, it’s enough for me, but at home I want to work with bigger file sizes at better performance.
I suppose it is possible that (depending on the configuration) you might be sending data out to the internet and then back to the local server but that would be a routing issue. You might want to verify that configuration.
Are there general tools or how to‘s to analyze the TrueNAS server, like Performance and bottlenecks, to figure weak points out and just to know what could be better.
The performance bottle neck is most likely the network configuration or the USB drive you are copying data from. After that, you are going to be held up by the fact you only have one vdev and that limits your max IO.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
your router is gigabit capable ??
your internet speed is not in this discussion
is about LAN speed
if you have a gigabit switch try with cable from your computer/laptop and FreeNAS in that switch and see what the LED of that port of switch say
is or not gigabit will see on the switch LED
maybe including your router have that LED to say is/or not gigabit connected

BdmRt

Cadet
Thanks for the responses.

About the usb drive: I can confirm a speed up to 80MB, if copying to my notebook directly.
About LAN cable: I can confirm same speed as with wireless. As I stated above, I already tried it with lan cable.
UPDATE: even the Mainboard is over 8 years old, gigabyte seems to release firmware upgrades. I figured out somehow to get on a specific management console Webserver of the Mainboard and could update the firmware to the latest version. Now it gets properly recognized and stays as 1GB, so this is most likely done.

I now get ~15MB transfer speed, which is a great improvement, but still a bit slow. I will try moving only one big file but I don’t have Hope it will be much faster. I will reply soon.

Dan Tudora

Patron
Intel I210-AT.
hello
comform https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64400/intel-ethernet-controller-i210-at.html is a gigabit LAN card
About LAN cable: I can confirm same speed as with wireless. As I stated above, I already tried it with lan cable.
you do not understand
is not about LAN cable is about of capabilities of your router to work in gigabit mode. what LED say remember ??
comform https://www.manualslib.com/manual/881375/Fritz-Fritz-Box-7490.html?page=13#manual is gigabit
I can confirm same speed as with wireless
is not enougt

BdmRt

Cadet
ok i tried moving one bigger file, I just took the TrueNAS Image(930MBish). Result looks a bit odd to me, but it is acceptable:
Writing
LAN: 83MB
Wifi: 56MB

Reading same file directly after
LAN: 33MB
WIFI: 28MB

Of course it was a little short to see the maxing out. Is this gonna be the max speed or are there possible ways to improve it?

thanks

BdmRt

Cadet
hello
comform https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64400/intel-ethernet-controller-i210-at.html is a gigabit LAN card

you do not understand
is not about LAN cable is about of capabilities of your router to work in gigabit mode. what LED say remember ??
comform https://www.manualslib.com/manual/881375/Fritz-Fritz-Box-7490.html?page=13#manual is gigabit

is not enougt
Hi Dan,

i checked the router. As I said, it was 100MBit connection before. Now after firmware update I get 1GBit, Router shows 1GBit also. But speed is like I said.

Dan Tudora

Patron
Hi Dan,

i checked the router. As I said, it was 100MBit connection before. Now after firmware update I get 1GBit, Router shows 1GBit also. But speed is like I said.
hello
try with a some "blind" switch
Writing
LAN: 83MB
Wifi: 56MB
that MB at speed of the lan is almost good
maybe bottlenec is NAS
about Wifi speed is what can do
no offence

BdmRt

Cadet
My nas is directly plugged in the Router.

I will try a performance test for the connection, I think there should be a Tool like iperf or so. Will reply afterwards.

thx

G8One2

Patron
Likely a cabling problem. Get yourself a tester