Network shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacka88

Patron
Hey guys,

I have developed a OS X application (that is about to be released via my website NOT MAS unfortunately) that shuts down your computer when a power failure is detected. This app is made to simplify the process when utilising a UPS. It has been made with usability in mind. I would like to add a feature that will be able to shutdown the freenas when a power failure is detected and am just wondering what the best solution for this is. would it be run the http command for the shutdown (if so what about ser/pass accounts will it still work or does it need to be loged in) or should I be looking at setting up something that speaks directly (API) with freenas and see if freenas would add it to the system's settings.

Thanks in advanced

Stephens

Patron
I don't know how it works, but you might want to look at how FreeNAS's UPS network support works. In FreeNAS, if you have a supported UPS, you can have 2 NAS boxes obtaining power from the same UPS, but only one plugged into the USB interface. We'll call that NAS1. UPS support can be set up on both NAS's, and NAS1 can notify NAS2 via network when it needs to shut down. Strictly speaking, they don't both have to pull their power from the same UPS, but NAS2 would have to be connected to some type of UPS or it'd already be down when the power goes out. In my situation, it'd mostly be useful when they're both pulling power from the same UPS. Anyway, you might want to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.