Network settings for NAS (1 NIC) on separate subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEEFyYVE

Dabbler
Hi!

I need advice regarding proper network settings for my FreeNAS. Currently its on the same network as my other devices. I need the FreeNAS to be on a different subnet to avoid packet routing issues when I connect to it directly from my PC via Ethernet patch cable (direct connection) and surf the Internet using the Wi-Fi card on the same PC.

My ideal setup is as follows:

1. The FreeNAS is on a different subnet from other devices so -

Router : 10.0.1.1
PC : 10.0.1.x (Wi-Fi)
FreeNAS : 10.0.2.1 (Ethernet)

2. The FreeNAS seamlessly connects the Internet for updates on few occasions that I connect it directly to the router with IP "10.0.1.1".

3. The FreeNAS only has 1 NIC.

How can I achieve the above setup? Is there a better way to go about this?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi!

I need advice regarding proper network settings for my FreeNAS. Currently its on the same network as my other devices. I need the FreeNAS to be on a different subnet to avoid packet routing issues when I connect to it directly from my PC via Ethernet patch cable (direct connection) and surf the Internet using the Wi-Fi card on the same PC.

2. The FreeNAS seamlessly connects the Internet for updates on few occasions that I connect it directly to the router with IP "10.0.1.1".

I'm confused. If your FreeNAS server can connect to your 'router' by ethernet cable and your PC can connect to your FreeNAS server by ethernet cable, why not connect everything to your by ethernet cable 'router' and call it a day (or stick a switch in there somewhere)?

DEEFyYVE

Dabbler
I'm confused. If your FreeNAS server can connect to your 'router' by ethernet cable and your PC can connect to your FreeNAS server by ethernet cable, why not connect everything to your by ethernet cable 'router' and call it a day (or stick a switch in there somewhere)?

1. For segmentation.
2. Running cable between server and router doesn't look good. I don't have ethernet in the wall.
3. Router only gives 100 mbps (same with the switch I have).
4. I can get gigabit speeds connecting to server directly from my PC using patch cable.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would just never connect it to the router. If everything works then you can get by without updates. I'm lazy and prefer non complicated things though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Hi!

I'm not sure what you are asking for. Do you plan to move the single Freenas ethernet cable back and forth between the router and PC depending on what you are doing? Does your PC have an ethernet port?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The problem is the router is in a random place that can't have Ethernet cables running to it. So they use wifi for internet and connect the Nas directly to the PC. Then to get freenas updates they would temporarily connect it to the router for the 20min it takes to update then remove the cable.

DEEFyYVE

Dabbler
I would just never connect it to the router. If everything works then you can get by without updates. I'm lazy and prefer non complicated things though.

Need to update using router for stability improvements and security fixes. Also, I have seen the NAS clock drift in past years. Connecting it to Internet helps sync the clock which we all know can contribute to its share of problems.

DEEFyYVE

Dabbler
The problem is the router is in a random place that can't have Ethernet cables running to it. So they use wifi for internet and connect the Nas directly to the PC. Then to get freenas updates they would temporarily connect it to the router for the 20min it takes to update then remove the cable.

Exactly. I'm seeing if this problem can be solved by networking configuration in FreeNAS. Rather more cables and hardware.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I'm seeing if this problem can be solved by networking configuration in FreeNAS.
If you've got 1 ethernet interface in freenas you can either choose the router or the PC. There's nothing else to configure in freenas. If you wanted, you could try to create a route or bridge in your PC, so that freenas could communicate through the PC (on both the wired interface to Freenas and the wireless interface to the router).

DEEFyYVE

Dabbler
If you've got 1 ethernet interface in freenas you can either choose the router or the PC. There's nothing else to configure in freenas. If you wanted, you could try to create a route or bridge in your PC, so that freenas could communicate through the PC (on both the wired interface to Freenas and the wireless interface to the router).

Thanks.

Btw, what setup do you all have network wise - switch, router or direct connect?

Nick2253

Wizard
You shouldn't need to do any configuration in FreeNAS. On your desktop, you should be able to make a bridged connection between your wifi adapter and your ethernet adapter. If you have Windows, this guide makes it pretty easy: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

A different way to tackle this problem is get a cheap wireless router that is compatible with DD-WRT and make it into a wireless bridge. (You can also buy purpose-built hardware, but I've found that it's usually much more expensive than a router, and few have more than one port.) Then you just have to connect both the PC and the FreeNAS to the bridge.

Another way to solve this problem is to get two powerline network adapter and a gigabit switch, and use the powerline to create a "wired" network from your router to your PC/FreeNAS, then use the switch to connect the two machines to the powerline network.

DEEFyYVE

Dabbler
You shouldn't need to do any configuration in FreeNAS. On your desktop, you should be able to make a bridged connection between your wifi adapter and your ethernet adapter. If you have Windows, this guide makes it pretty easy: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

A different way to tackle this problem is get a cheap wireless router that is compatible with DD-WRT and make it into a wireless bridge. (You can also buy purpose-built hardware, but I've found that it's usually much more expensive than a router, and few have more than one port.) Then you just have to connect both the PC and the FreeNAS to the bridge.

Thanks. I'll look into these solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.