Network Error 0x8007003B only when moving files to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoTalent

Dabbler
I'm stumped here, and am looking for guidance on how to troubleshoot or how to proceed.

I have 3 client systems all running windows 8.1. I can read from network share (CIFS) without any issues. Every time I try writing to the volume I get the network error.

History:
Set up FreeNAS on this box about 1.5-2 years ago with whatever version of FreeNAS was avail at the time. I think it was 8.x? I created a single volume with all the availalbe storage (4.2 TiB from 6x 1TB drives). I created a single user and set up a NFS share. My two clients with windows 7 could access the NFS without any problems and I read and wrote without any issues.

My USB key died and the NAS sat for about 6 months until I had time to analyze it and figure out how to reinstall, etc. I got a new one and installed 9.3. During that 6 month period I moved my desktop to windows 8.1 pro. I didn't realize that there isn't any more support for NAS unless you have the enterprise version. So I created a CIFS share for the 'Storage' volume. That's when I started seeing the error (attached screenshot).

What I have tried:
  • File transfers from all 3 client systems. One is wireless. Wireless took the longest to fail, but it did eventually.
  • Tried the wireless system with a wired connection, it still failed
Next steps:
  • Is there any logging I can turn on? Is there any logging in windows/router/freenas that I could check?
  • Was going to create a NFS share and see if I can access that from the laptop which has Win8.1 enterprise.
Additional information:
router:
Linksys 600N running DDWRT v24-sp2. nothing changed from when it was working last year.

FreeNAS 9.3 latest stable. (hardware in my profile)
Zpool status =
Code:
NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
Storage ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/373da778-d5b9-11e2-a4c4-00e081c59efe ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/ea86ce69-570a-11e2-bbc6-00e081c59efe ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/eaedef68-570a-11e2-bbc6-00e081c59efe ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/eb8a8c4e-570a-11e2-bbc6-00e081c59efe ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/ebfdc64e-570a-11e2-bbc6-00e081c59efe ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/ecba1095-570a-11e2-bbc6-00e081c59efe ONLINE 0 0 0

Attachments

• 8007003B.PNG
    8007003B.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 1,003

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What are your permissions on that dataset? Who is the user you are logging in with? What are your cifs settings?

NoTalent

Dabbler
Here are the settings. Let me know if there is a way to get this directly from a settings file in FreeBSD if that is easier to see if something is not set correctly.

CIFS Settings:

cifs_settings.png

Volume permissions:
storage_permissions.PNG

User info.
user_settings.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How about the share permissions? And you are using the media user with the correct password to login right?

Another thing to do is not share the top level dataset. This will cause issues in the future.

NoTalent

Dabbler
Share permissions: share-permissions.PNG

Can I change the sharing of the top level dataset? Or have I screwed this up and will have to fix it next time?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

NoTalent

Dabbler

rogerh

Guru
Can I change the sharing of the top level dataset? Or have I screwed this up and will have to fix it next time?

You can easily make a new dataset from the FreeNAS GUI, move all the relevant files to it, and set it up as a share. Then stop sharing the top level volume. This should work fine, although it may not be anything to do with your current problem.

Are you not using the built-in anti-virus in Windows? That might scan network drives for all I know.

NoTalent

Dabbler
You can easily make a new dataset from the FreeNAS GUI, move all the relevant files to it, and set it up as a share. Then stop sharing the top level volume. This should work fine, although it may not be anything to do with your current problem.

Are you not using the built-in anti-virus in Windows? That might scan network drives for all I know.

Rogerh, thank you! I thought the default windows anti-virus was called "Microsoft Essentials". You are correct, there is one called "Windows Defender". I am going to investigate disabling it and re-running my test.

NoTalent

Dabbler

I disabled Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, it still failed. I'm trying to transfer a 12GB file and it will fail about 50% to 75% of the way through.

NoTalent

Dabbler

NoTalent

Dabbler
I changed the "Server Maximum Protocol" to type to SMB3_00 without any difference. I checked the SMB type and it changed from 2 to 3.

Default CIFS settings
Code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName          ShareName           UserName            Credential          Dialect             NumOpens
----------          ---------           --------            ----------          -------             --------
192.168.1.109       backup              Loft-PC\name        LOFT-PC\media       2.10                1

After changing to SMB3_00
Code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName          ShareName           UserName            Credential          Dialect             NumOpens
----------          ---------           --------            ----------          -------             --------
192.168.1.109       backup              Loft-PC\name        LOFT-PC\media       3.00                1
192.168.1.109       IPC$                Loft-PC\name        LOFT-PC\media       3.00                0

NoTalent

Dabbler
stickler, I have not been able to figure it out.

I've done a lot of research and it seems this will happen with windows 8/8.1 only and it is an issue with the way they do their SMB.

I have tried changing to SMB 1 on the FreeNAS server as well as on my windows box without any success. Maybe you can try too? Can you describe exactly how your system is failing as well?

I did a wireshark analysis of the failure but I don't know enough to say who is at fault. I see SMB2
"Expert Info (Warn/Sequence): TCP Zero Window segment"
Messages throughout the file transfer, but I don't know if this is benign or a reason for the failure.

zoomzoom

Guru
The issue is due to large file transfers to a network share and occurs regardless of network file system, however if you mentioned it occurred on smaller file transfers, I overlooked it.

I had the exact same issue about a year ago, but I don't remember how I fixed it. I do however remember it's due to a setting that has to either be set or modified... but as to what setting that was, I can't remember :oops: I want to say it was either a NIC setting, a GPO setting or a firewall setting. I do remember, prior to fixing, large file transfers would almost always fail if any other program(s) was/were also trying to utilize bandwidth on the PC.

I don't have any Antivirus installed.
I can't find any information on exactly what this error means.
  • Did you verify your 802.1x GPOs?
  • What about MTUs? (mentioned by a user in this NAS4Free thread)
  • Also, check out this post and this post on SpiceWorks from TheDutchman.
  • Have you also tried disabling SMB support via Add or Remove Windows Features, rebooting, re-enabling, and rebooting again?
  • There's also some good suggestions to try in this thread on SuperUser

Last edited:

ravensorb

Dabbler
Thought I'd check in on this -- I am having the issue on Windows 10 as well. I can copy between windows machines on the network and I can copy to ubuntu 14.x -- I cannot however copy a file > 6gb to FreeNas

zoomzoom

Guru
Did you have a chance to check out the links from my above post? If not, they may be able to shoot you in the right direction

tha_toadman

Dabbler
While I am a FreeNAS user, my server was not involved with this recent file transfer yet I received this error. That is what led me here.

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with FreeNAS at all. This appears to be a Win10 problem. A user at this site below mentioned that a roll back to Win8 resolved his issue. This tells me its something weird with the network stack in Win10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/ae7b8630-3295-416e-9e7b-c9deeff6c6c6?auth=1

zoomzoom

Guru
While I am a FreeNAS user, my server was not involved with this recent file transfer yet I received this error. That is what led me here.

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with FreeNAS at all. This appears to be a Win10 problem. A user at this site below mentioned that a roll back to Win8 resolved his issue. This tells me its something weird with the network stack in Win10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/ae7b8630-3295-416e-9e7b-c9deeff6c6c6?auth=1
As mentioned above, please see the links in my previous post. It's also affected more than just Windows 10, as users using Server 2003, Server 2008, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10 have all experienced this specific error. It's definitely tied to certain environmental settings, although one thread on TechNet did mention (in regards to that specific issue in that specific thread) that it was tied to the SMB version being utilized. They gave Windows 7 (which they were not experiencing an issue on) as an example, which uses SMB2, whereas the problematic Windows 8 system experiencing the issue utilized SMB3.2.
  • The SMB version Windows is currently utilizing can be displayed via the PowerShell command: Get-SmbClientConfiguration
  • See this thread on NetworkSteve and this thread on TechNet
This doesn't seem to be tied to any one setting or feature, but does appear to be environment related, which is why any user experiencing this issue will have to research a bit and try different solutions in a trial and error fashion to narrow down what it is within their specific environment that's the cause of the issue.

It's generally a good idea to read the last 10 or s0 posts in a thread prior to posting to discover whether your question or issue has been addressed. This isn't meant to be hubristic, simply that many users on forums don't read the last 10 or so posts and more often than not, ask or post something that was mentioned in the last 10 or so posts.
  • This becomes more of an inconvenience for a user with an issue, as while it only take 5 or so minutes at most to peruse the last 10 posts, it will more likely than not take more than 5 minutes before the user gets a reply from someone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.