network and storage issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

06coopers

Dabbler
Im not really sure where to put this because it is really two questions, but i am having some problems transferring files between different drives on my machine. I recently got the money to finally start upgrading my rag tag cluster of old HDDs to proper hard drives. I have one share that my entire home has access to, it contains about 2TB of movies, game files, etc. I went to transfer the entire thing from its old share to its new share, after transferring about 30GB the transfer speed died, eventually saying it could not transfer, i had to restart my NAS to even be able to access it again. i can easily transfer smaller files between two drives on the machine, but otherwise i need to offload everything to a PC then re transfer back to where i want it. Does anyone have any ideas what my issue might be? Secondly, What is the advantage of using a NIC in my machine as opposed to the on board Ethernet of my motherboard? There are never more than 3 people accessing it at a time and it is usually just one person at a time. Thanks for all of your help!

My machine:
FreeNAS 11 booting from a 16 GB sandisk flashdrive
Intel I7 3770
MSI mATX motherboard
8GB ddr3
4TB Seagate ironwolf
2TB WD black
2TB Seagate barracuda

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Secondly, What is the advantage of using a NIC in my machine as opposed to the on board ethernet of my motherboard?
Depends on the network controller on your motherboard. If it's a Realtek (which is likely), it's an unreliable POS, and you could probably do quite a bit better by replacing it with an Intel NIC. If you're having network-related problems, this would be a pretty cheap thing to try to fix them.

06coopers

Dabbler
would there be any reason get multi port NIC and have multiple connections to the same network, or would a single port one be sufficient.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What you need to look into is using SSH to remotely connect to the command prompt of your server and doing a local copy from one directory to another instead of trying to move the data from one share to another through the network.

06coopers

Dabbler
How complicated is that, I really only use my FreeNAS so I don't have to have any 3.5" drives in my gaming rig so I have more space for the pumps in my custom water loop, the only time I ever have this issue is when replacing a drive in the FreeNAS box and having to make large transfers to the new drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a drive is already in the FreeNAS and you are moving data to another.

cp -iprv is the command you are looking for.

http://befused.com/freebsd/copy-directory gives an example.

If the drive in question has NTFS format you should still be able to drop it in the FreeNAS but it will only mount as read only.

As far as SSH well grab something like bitvise, setup ssh and log in using the client.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
how complicated is that, i really only use my freenas so i dont have to have any 3.5" drives in my gaming rig so i have more space for the pumps in my custom water loop, the only time i ever have this issue is when replacing a drive in the freenas box and having to make large transfers to the new drive
Lots of the things being discussed here are covered in the user guide / manual: http://doc.freenas.org/11/services.html?highlight=ssh#ssh
You can also fine more references on the web.

On a separate note, you should really have some kind of redundancy instead of using a single disk for your storage.

06coopers

Dabbler
Lots of the things being discussed here are covered in the user guide / manual: http://doc.freenas.org/11/services.html?highlight=ssh#ssh
You can also fine more references on the web.

On a separate note, you should really have some kind of redundancy instead of using a single disk for your storage.
thanks for all the help!, i know i should be using redundancy, until recently the machine has just had a mix of random HDDs in it, as soon as i can buy another ironwolf i will be mirroring them

Status
Not open for further replies.