Netdata warning thresholds

danb35

Hall of Famer
Wondering what thought process went into setting the warning thresholds for netdata, as it seems like I'm getting lots of warnings in my email for things that shouldn't be a concern at all. For example, RAM utilization > 90%. Is that a problem? Is it not rather to be expected when ZFS caches so aggressively? And disk utilization > 90%? Again, it seems like that would be expected when a scrub is running. I had a couple dozen netdata alerts in my admin email this afternoon, and they were all of this sort. Why does the system think I should care?

Apollo

Wizard
When Netdata was introduced with 11.2 Beta, I was getting such warning on a daily basis.
As you said, scrubbing would trigger alerts. Using Nextcloud and having files transfered would trigger LAN alerts.
Now that 11.2 Release is out, I almost no longer get those alerts anymore.
As a matter of fact, I haven't received any alarts since Dec 18, which seems about the time I have upgraded to Release.
Before I used to have packet storms around 6000% or more in 10s.

At first this was a scary thing because of how it was reported, either as a warning or critical, as if the end of the world.
Now, everything is silent.

Redcoat

MVP
I just figured it was AI learning my level of sensitivity...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I filed a bug for the RAM usage warning. It got attention and will be fixed. They also mentioned that in later releases there will be a UI to set the thresholds to whatever you want. Another funny alert I got was when I upgrade from 11.2 to 11.2-U2 I got a warning about disk usage because it was writing so much durning the upgrade to my boot device.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Woke up to 48 emails about disk busy warnings from a scrub. I'm going to disable netdata now.

garm

Wizard
Does anyone know what would not constitut an unscheduled reboot? Those emails bugs me too.. I get them for updates and manual UI reboots.

garm

Wizard
Also, I did have lots more emails in the beginning of RC2. Now with Release I get way fewer. Is there learning code in Netdata?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Think you've got my threads confused. But in my case, "unscheduled" seems to mean "uncommanded"--that is, the system reboots on its own. I have not received those emails when I told it to reboot.