Nested Virtualization - FreeNAS 11 - Intel VT-x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Tapay

Cadet
I currently have FreeNAS 11 installed and I created a VM running Ubuntu 16.x so that I can run Cisco Virl on it. Cisco Virl runs on VMware which I installed VMware player 12 on the Ubuntu 16 but when I start the VM on VMware player it says the host doesn't support Intel VT-x. The processor on my machine is an Intel Xeon E3-1220 V5 SkyLake 3.0 which definitely supports Intel VT-x and virtualization is also enabled in the BIOS. Is the command below the correct one to double check that FreeNAS has Intel VT-x enabled?

VMware Player has a "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT" option when creating VM's, does FN have a similar option when creating VMs so that the host CPU properties are passed on from the FN host to the Ubuntu guest VM?

Code:
[ray@freenas /proc]$ sudo dmidecode | grep -i virt
Password:
				VME (Virtual mode extension)
				Enhanced Virtualization
				Enhanced Virtualization
[ray@freenas /proc]$

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisBee

Wizard
I currently have FreeNAS 11 installed and I created a VM running Ubuntu 16.x so that I can run Cisco Virl on it. Cisco Virl runs on VMware which I installed VMware player 12 on the Ubuntu 16 but when I start the VM on VMware player it says the host doesn't support Intel VT-x. The processor on my machine is an Intel Xeon E3-1220 V5 SkyLake 3.0 which definitely supports Intel VT-x and virtualization is also enabled in the BIOS. Is the command below the correct one to double check that FreeNAS has Intel VT-x enabled?

VMware Player has a "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT" option when creating VM's, does FN have a similar option when creating VMs so that the host CPU properties are passed on from the FN host to the Ubuntu guest VM?

Code:
[ray@freenas /proc]$ sudo dmidecode | grep -i virt
Password:
				Enhanced Virtualization
				Enhanced Virtualization
[ray@freenas /proc]$

AFAIK, bhyve does not support nested virtualisation, so you cannot have a vm inside a vm using FreeNAS/BSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.