Nested dataset alongside regular directories - bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guermantes

Patron
Hi,

I remember reading about some inappropriateness when it comes to nesting datasets and perhaps it had to do with naming the dataset and directories. As you see I can't remember, and I can't find where I read it (it was here on the forum), so I'll brave it and put the question out there. Is what I am considering below a bad idea?

I have a tank/work dataset, SMB-shared as work. In the root of the work share I have four Windows directories: clients, bookkeeping, ideas, identity-graphics. Is it a bad idea to create a nested dataset tank/work/largetempfiles, the idea being to have it show up alongside the four directories, but not being included in tank/work non-recursive snapshots (the large workfiles are just temporary and after two weeks I never want to see them again so why let them inflate my snapshots?).

Nick2253

Wizard
I would say that there is no problem doing that. You obviously have to be careful, because it will be treated differently than just a folder (as you pointed out). In your case, it's definitely an advantage, but for a typical user, I would assume this would actually be a negative.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Note that shares won't cross filesystem boundaries, which datasets are.

Status
Not open for further replies.