Need some help configuring a drive for apps

owsleygarcia95

Dabbler
So I somehow seemed to have missed something major again. I am trying to setup a NAS with 8 18TB drives (only using 4 currently, had to order drive cages for my case off of aliexpress) . I originally had a 1TB ssd that was one of the only things I didn't need to buy for the build, I was going to use for the OS. When I realized it was a waste of space for the OS drive, I bought a cheap 128GB off of amazon for the OS. That just showed up today, and I just did my second test install of TrueNAS scale. So my plan was to use my 1TB ssd as a seperate pool for apps. Of course I just realized that this isn't going to happen, because I can't configure a pool with a single drive. I know mirrors would be great for both my boot and my app pool, but I've pushed my budget to the limit already.

I'm literally just trying to run qbittorent. I probably won't even setup plex or anything because I rarely watch movies. It's basically just all for bulk storage. Would be great to get some suggestions as to how slow this is going to run if I just run qbittorent off the main data hard drive pool. Also there's an option to add the tb of storage to the data pool. Or add it as a cache, and several other choices when configuring the data pool. Could one of you that really understands this stuff please tell me how I can best make use of my 1TB SSD? Really not sure what the best option is.

danb35

Hall of Famer
because I can't configure a pool with a single drive
Of course you can--what makes you think otherwise?

Now, if you're only going to be running a single app, you might as well run it on the spinners; your performance requirements aren't going to be that great. But if you have the SSD anyway, make a pool with that, put your app(s) on it, and maybe later add a second drive as a mirror of the first.

owsleygarcia95

Dabbler
Well after reading a little more, I did find cases of people making a vdev with a single disk. For me it would only seem to work, if I used disk striping with a single disk. Doesn't really make sense, but it worked.

owsleygarcia95

Dabbler
Of course you can--what makes you think otherwise?

Now, if you're only going to be running a single app, you might as well run it on the spinners; your performance requirements aren't going to be that great. But if you have the SSD anyway, make a pool with that, put your app(s) on it, and maybe later add a second drive as a mirror of the first.
Yeah I figured it out. It would only work if I selected striping, which didn't really make sense. But it worked. Would it make more sense to just run qbittorrent on the main data pool, and use the SSD as a cache?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would it make more sense to just run qbittorrent on the main data pool, and use the SSD as a cache?
Probably not, unless your ARC hit rate is low. But you'd probably want to increase your system RAM first.

owsleygarcia95

Dabbler
Probably not, unless your ARC hit rate is low. But you'd probably want to increase your system RAM first.
Ok thanks. Yeah, I know I definitely cheaped out with 16GB of RAM. I'm not too concerned if it's a little slow at first. I'm sure I'll probably upgrade it eventually when I've got some extra $ to throw at this. I kind of wanted to see what kind of transfer speeds I'd get with this first. It will probably be fine for my use case. I'm just excited that I finally got qbittorrent working. All I need to do now is figure out how to get my VPN plugged into it, which I'm working on right now. Will probably look into other apps eventually, but for now I'll just be happy that I got this all working. Hopefully my 4 extra drive bays show up early from aliexpress(out of stock everywhere else), so I can actually make my raid z2 and start filling this thing. I wish there was a setting that just eliminated permissions and gave full permission for everything lol. They can call it the permissions for dummies setting lol.