Need some advice on server purchase in UK

Aleksander M

Cadet
I have build one Freenas server already from Dell PowerEdge R2950 (I know, its super old, noisy and power hungry, but paid for it only £50), it gave me 25TB of usable storage and works superb. I need to build another one with with around 30-35 TB of usable storage and and more than 6 bays. I am thinking about buying PowerEdge R510, because it has 12 bays, it cheap. From what I read in here and in the internet it can run Freenas if I replace controller for flashed H200 or H310. I also like the build quality in Dell servers have since I never had any problems with them.
My question is what other servers I could look at to buy in UK. I know that lots of you build on Supermicro servers, but these are hard to find here in UK and are more expensive. I look also for server that is rack mountable, rather than stand alone.

Would be very grateful for all the advice.

Are you buying through a business or private?

Aleksander M

Cadet
Hi, eventually I bought Dell R510 with 128Gb of RAM, 12 bays in front+ two internal, flashed PERC200 and 5TB hard drives. I have now around 50TB storage and seems to be working well. Currently running burning in tests.