Need MAX Sequential WRITE Performance (40 GbE SMB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinClift

Patron
... with the potential exception of that Mellanox card

As a data point, it could be the case that Mellanox is the only real option for this server setup. Some SuperMicro servers have options for Mellanox ConnectX-* series mezzanine cards... and pretty much nothing else - network wise - will go in those slots (as far as I know).

If these servers are like that... well at least that'll explain that choice. ;)

JustinClift

Patron
Is it also worth pointing out that some ARC tuning options can dramatically affect caching (eg sequential vs random access)? So if the general workload pattern is more sequential than random (random being the default), then a few tweaks might give easy wins too.

BiffBlendon

Dabbler
Hi Biff,

Are still in need of some help? I work in Post/VFX with similar image resolutions.

Yes, we'd very much like some help. We have been tweaking and testing some FN builds as we have time, and I'd like to think it's a viable option for the lower-end of our usage spectrum. We're building-out another 800TB node next week as well.

Which leads us to another issue / problem. We have a 36x 8TB SAS3 array connected via twin ports (18 disks per port) through an LSI 9300-8e SAS3 HBA (latest firmware). We get modestly decent performance running a 6x6Z2 grouped pool. Our data is WRITE-heavy (as always) SEQUENTIAL DPX files (50MB/per file) and we need to write 30 FPS (1500MB/sec) sustained, for HOURS on end -- i.e. we need to write about 24-30TB of data PER 8-hour day!

The server / node it's connected to is a SM dual E5-2660 v3 (20 physical cores) with 256GB of DDR4 ECC. Boot media is dual 500GB 950 EVO SSD. That should be overkill for this deployment. The disk shelf is a Quanta 60-disk JBOD (4602, I believe) with 18 disks on each of the two 12G controllers.

We're using Mellanox 40GbE CX5 QSFP+ cards that are direct-connected to a couple of film scanner clients. The "interesting" thing is that we can achieve these throughput rates (barely) via iSCSI, but SMB and NFS are **considerably** slower -- and I'm talking 50% slower, like 800-900MB/sec. In some cases, this is OK, especially when we're ingesting 2K DPX files (12MB/per) instead of 4K DPX (50MB/per). The problem we're seeing is that, over time (after 7,000-15,000 frames), SMB and NFS performance continually degrades until it falls below 24 FPS ("real time" for film), but this degradation does NOT happen via iSCSI to the SAME pool using the SAME wire / NICs.

Can we tune NFS or, if necessary, SMB to NOT degrade? What is it about the file I/O and/or CIFS that is causing this very linear speed degrade over time?

Thanks,

BB

Last edited:

JustinClift

Patron
From memory (!), the CIFS/SMB server code (at least used to be) single threaded. So the max throughput achievable with it was hard limited by the single threaded performance of the cpu in the server.

If that's still the case (no idea) then depending on your server cpu you might be able to change things in good way via cpu upgrade.

If your server builds are still using E5-2630 v2 cpus (2.6-3.1GHz):

https://ark.intel.com/products/75790/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2630-v2-15M-Cache-2-60-GHz-

.. upgrading to (say) E5-2637 v2 would probably improve things a bit. But wouldn't double the performance.

The recently released "5GHz capable" Intel Core i9 9900K might get it there.

https://ark.intel.com/products/186605/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-Processor-16M-Cache-up-to-5-00-GHz-

If your business is willing to put some cash into experimenting, that would be one option. i9 CPU's though... no support for ECC ram. :( There are Xeon's in the same series that seem to do 4.7-4.8 GHz:

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/97787/Coffee-Lake

Looking at the SuperMicro website, they do single socket boards for this series of cpus:

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1151

Seems like a max of 128GB ram though.

Note - This is all just a thought experiment though. Haven't personally used any of this hardware.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
From memory (!), the CIFS/SMB server code (at least used to be) single threaded. So the max throughput achievable with it was hard limited by the single threaded performance of the cpu in the server.
It's one thread per connection. Multiple users will scale well.

Status
Not open for further replies.