Need help with Jail, FTP, and Permissions

chravis

Contributor
I have gotten myself wrapped around the axle with permissions and such. Here's the deal:
I have created a jail and I installed Tomcat 9 into the jail. As far as I can tell it is working as it should (I can start tomcat and get to the manager application).

What I'm trying to do is figure out the easiest way to move a .war file into the webapps directory (/mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/tomcat/root/usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0/webapps).

I already had an ftp user and was able to ftp the .war file to a dataset and then move the file to the webapps directory with a command like this (from inside the FreeNAS shell):
mv /mnt/FreeNASPool1/dataset1/documents/mywar.war /mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/tomcat/root/usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0/webapps

But then based on some googling I think I need to also do the following:

chown www:www /mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/tomcat/root/usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0/webapps/mywar.war

I'm wondering two things:
1. Can I FTP directly to /mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/tomcat/root/usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0/webapps/ so I can skip the step of moving the file? Using FileZilla I can navigate to that directory, but I get permission denied if I try to move a file into it.

2. Is it possible to write a shell script that would do everything for me once I get the .war file on the server? It would stop tomcat. Remove the current .war file from the webapps directory, copy the new .war file to the webapps directory, change any permissions necessary, and then start tomcat?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
1. Can I FTP directly to /mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/tomcat/root/usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0/webapps/ so I can skip the step of moving the file? Using FileZilla I can navigate to that directory, but I get permission denied if I try to move a file into it.
If you're a user with permissions to do it, sure. Use scp to put the file there directly.

2. Is it possible to write a shell script that would do everything for me once I get the .war file on the server? It would stop tomcat. Remove the current .war file from the webapps directory, copy the new .war file to the webapps directory, change any permissions necessary, and then start tomcat?
Sure.

write a .sh file that does it (replace jailname with the name of the jail
Code:
#!/bin/sh

iocage exec jailname "service apache2 stop"

rm /mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/tomcat/root/usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0/webapps/mywar.war

# Next line maybe not needed if you scp the file or put the scp command here for the FreeNAS server to go and get it

# mv /mnt/FreeNASPool1/dataset1/documents/mywar.war /mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/tomcat/root/usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0/webapps

iocage exex jailname "chown www:www /usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0/webapps/mywar.war"

iocage exec jailname "service apache2 start"

chravis

Contributor
@sretalla thank you for the help. I'm working on the script and during the mv command I'm getting a permission denied, I think on the webapps folder inside the jail. Assume I need to change permissions on that folder? This is where I'm having issues.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You could try changing the ownership of that directory to www:wheel. The Root user of the host should then have rights to it.

chravis

Contributor
Thanks again @sretalla. One more question, this time about jail networking. I am assuming this is possible but I'm unclear which settings to use.
I have created a jail that is running mysql with a configured IP address of 192.168.1.20. I am able to connect to this database via Mysql Administrator on a separate Windows machine. So I know the mysql service is up and running.
Now, I have this tomcat jail which runs a java application that needs to connect to that database. I have set the jdbc url to 192.168.1.20 but it's unable to connect. This makes sense as I believe jails are supposed to be isolated from each other. But I assume there is some way to configure them to be able to communicate?

sretalla