Need help with install on ML350 with Smart Array p800

Status
Not open for further replies.

brent_j_cox

Cadet
I am installing 8.0.2 on a ML350 with a Smart Array P800 SAS controller. I have 6 1tb SAS drives and 12 2tb SATA drives attached to the P800 and all of them have been configured as Raid 0 so as to show up as individual drives in FreeNas. I have modified the loader.conf file with ciss_load="YES", but no drives show up in FreeNas. I am an experienced Network Administrator, but I am new to BSD and don't know my way around the file system. Can someone give me specific instructions on how to get the drivers for the P800 to load?

brent_j_cox

Cadet
Can somone tell me if I am on the right track?

Ok, after some more research I found an illusion to the fact that the CISS drivers were left out of the 64 bit .iso of FreeNas 8.0.2. I found the location of the driver modules in /boot/kernel and the ciss.ko is indeed not there. Is there someplace I can download the ciss.ko for 64bit? And if so will copying it to this location solve my problem?

Brent

brent_j_cox

Cadet
Found a driver, but not sure what to do with it.

I have found and downloaded the latest Ciss-4.6.28 Linux/Unix driver from HP. It is a .tar file and I have unpacked it to a folder to my desktop, but I have no idea how to integrate it into the FreeBSD or FreeNas. All of the research I have done would probably make more sense if I was a programmer or developer because it presupposes a level up understanding I do not have. My specialty is network engineering, so writing code is not my cup of tea. Can someone please educate me or point me in the right direction to educate myself as to how to accomplish this. If there are any developers reading this it seems like a gross oversight to have left out the driver for all of HP's servers.

Brent

V

vadikgo

ciss compiled in kernel:
ciss1: <HP Smart Array P800> port 0x5000-0x50ff mem 0xfbf00000-0xfbffffff,0xfbef0000-0xfbef0fff irq 32 at device 0.0 on pci7
ciss1: PERFORMANT Transport
ciss1: [ITHREAD]

Try to reduce the number of drives up to 15 and then FreeNAS see them. Look like a bug in cciss module.

Status
Not open for further replies.