Need help with growing FreeNAS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underwater Mike

Dabbler
It's been a couple years since I set up my FreeNAS box, and I'm afraid that I've forgotten how to do basic system expansion. After reading through a bunch of threads here, I'm more confused than when I began. :(

I have a 4x1TB RaidZ1 array. See the following screenie:

Capture1.PNG

I have two new/additional 1TB drives that I want to add to the box. What is the appropriate way to add these drives to (1) maximize storage space while (2) maximizing redundancy? Is my best option to back up all the files to an outside point, destroy the existing array, and create a new RAIDZ2? Assuming RAIDZ2 is the appropriate path, is there another way to migrate the existing data without backing up to external storage and then recopying everything to the new array?

In case it matters, my box is used for backups and media serving on my home network. Nothing very heavy or sophisticated.

If this is explained in another thread that I've overlooked, I'd really appreciate a pointer. Thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's been a couple years since I set up my FreeNAS box, and I'm afraid that I've forgotten how to do basic system expansion.

Ok

After reading through a bunch of threads here, I'm more confused than when I began. :(

I have a 4x1TB RaidZ1 array. See the following screenie:

View attachment 2209

I have two new/additional 1TB drives that I want to add to the box. What is the appropriate way to add these drives to (1) maximize storage space while (2) maximizing redundancy? Is my best option to back up all the files to an outside point, destroy the existing array, and create a new RAIDZ2?

Yes.

Assuming RAIDZ2 is the appropriate path, is there another way to migrate the existing data without backing up to external storage and then recopying everything to the new array?

Sadly, no.

In case it matters, my box is used for backups and media serving on my home network. Nothing very heavy or sophisticated.

If this is explained in another thread that I've overlooked, I'd really appreciate a pointer. Thanks!

You appear to be less confused than you thought. But some comments:

1) Make sure you're on the most recent FreeNAS.

2) You have the option to expand your existing pool by ADDING a new vdev, i.e. a mirror vdev of two 1TB drives, which gets you 1TB of extra space in your existing pool without any copying or horsing around. However, while this gives you the same amount of space as the RAIDZ2 dump/rebuild/reload, it does not give you the added redundancy of RAIDZ2.

So the RAIDZ2 strategy is probably best, but also more work.

Underwater Mike

Dabbler
You appear to be less confused than you thought. But some comments:

1) Make sure you're on the most recent FreeNAS.

2) You have the option to expand your existing pool by ADDING a new vdev, i.e. a mirror vdev of two 1TB drives, which gets you 1TB of extra space in your existing pool without any copying or horsing around. However, while this gives you the same amount of space as the RAIDZ2 dump/rebuild/reload, it does not give you the added redundancy of RAIDZ2.

So the RAIDZ2 strategy is probably best, but also more work.

Well, I guess there's consolation in not being too far off the mark! Thanks very much for the help. I guess I'll start backing up!

Underwater Mike

Dabbler
As it turns out, one of my new 1TB Seagate drives failed within 12 hours of installation. Not fun.

I have a replacement now, plus an additional drive, for a total of seven 1TB drives. Is it possible to go RAIDZ2 with 7 drives and get ~4TB+ of usable space (i.e., 5 drives for data and 2 for parity)? Or should I go 5x2 and keep one drive for hot swapping? Again, it's a home server on a low-end box. Speed is important, but data integrity and usable space are more important.

Thanks again. :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have a replacement now, plus an additional drive, for a total of seven 1TB drives. Is it possible to go RAIDZ2 with 7 drives and get ~4TB+ of usable space (i.e., 5 drives for data and 2 for parity)? Or should I go 5x2 and keep one drive for hot swapping?

I must be either under- or over-caffeinated because those appear to be the same thing to me. Did you mean 4x2 with one for hot swapping?

Again, it's a home server on a low-end box. Speed is important, but data integrity and usable space are more important.

Thanks again. :)

For data integrity, RAIDZ3 with 7 drives. For usable space, RAIDZ2 with 7 drives. RAIDZ1 is dangerous at that many drives from a data integrity PoV. There is no significant value to having a warm or cold spare laying around and a RAIDZ2 (4+2) if you could just have a RAIDZ3 (4+3) instead.

Does that answer the question I think you were asking?

Underwater Mike

Dabbler
Sorry, yes. I meant what you interpreted. Impending data loss had me a bit flustered. :o

I think I'll go with 5+2. That'll give me enough space for the foreseeable future, with some protection. Again, I appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.