Need help to build a cheap NAS that can handle 2 HD movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasadvice

Cadet
Hi guys,

Thank you for a great forum. I am looking to build a NAS that can store data and stream two 1080p movies simultaneously via gigabit wired connection to my TVs.

Now I know many will say get mid to high-end cpus, but from reading, it seems that is a bit of an overkill, but hey, I'm not the expert, right? Also important is the amount of wattage as it's going to be on 24/7.

I don't:-

1. Mind buying 2nd hand parts if costs would be kept low.
2. Need anymore than 2 Bay Nas.
3. Need anymore than 2TB required.
4. Mind if using whatever case necessary.

You can use the http://uk.pcpartpicker.com to help me build the NAS. I to be honest don't know the cost, but so long as it can do what I need, then please don't go for expensive cpus and stuff...Cheap guys! ;)

So what can you recommend?

Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. you aren't going to get responses with that post. You basically want someone else to do your dirty work. So how about you go to the FreeBSD hardware compatibility matrix, read through the forum stickies, then put your OWN system together. Most of us aren't about to spend time building someone else's system for them.

nasadvice

Cadet
I do apologise that it feels like I'm getting someone to do my dirty work as that was not my intention. I'm confused with the NAS system and just want the right parts for the job. Also I'm confused with RAID and not sure how best to get my house integrated, so that I have one central point to access everything. :(

Could you please point me to the hardware compatibility list, so that I can see if I can choose the hardware?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
How about you start with reading the stickies... those are full of information, recommended hardware, etc. Also the FreeNAS manual contains links and explanations for a lot of stuff related to hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.