Need help installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundblastdj

Dabbler
Hello,
I am a complete noob at Linux period. I have had a small experience with Ubuntu, but I would like to create a FreeNAS server for my house. I know that FreeNAS is supposed to be easy, but I have no idea how to create a bootable cd or flash drive for this. I would really like some help on this. I have the file, and I have tried using the MyLinuxLive USB Creator, but it doesn't understand FreeNAS. I need a solution to this, or if somebody would direct me to a place where I can buy a pre-set up install disk, I would be happy.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, if you can't figure out how to create the boot disk using the manual instructions this probably isn't a project for you. It won't get easier(but will in fact get MUCH harder) and if you don't know what you are doing you can kiss your data goodbye suddenly without warning.

russnas

Contributor
try with windows

doc.freenas.org/index.php/Burning_an_IMG_File

soundblastdj

Dabbler
I don't have Windows, I run on a Mac based system until i get the money to buy a new computer.

- - - Updated - - -

I know what I need to do for the rest, and I am doing this mostly for the learning experience. Also, the reason that I'm having a hard time is that I have only found instructions for Windows, and I run on a Mac (with no co drive no less)

LGShepherd

Cadet
I am also in the same boat as you.

I have used Terminal to create a bootable USB, but when I plug it in to my Microserver and boot it I just get the flashing _ and it won't move on from that.

soundblastdj

Dabbler
Ok, I tried again and this time, I followed the directions to the letter, and this was the error that I got when using the dd command in terminal:
dd if=FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=64k
dd: FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64.img: No such file or directory

- - - Updated - - -

What is wrong with the section that explains how to install?

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page

It was actually that originally, I couldn't find these instructions, thanks for the link.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will tell you that of=/dev/disk2 is definitely not correct either. You need to read up on the dd command. You have to know what the if and of are for your system, so I can't really help you with that.

soundblastdj

Dabbler
I got everything working perfectly, or so I thought. I got everything installed and configured. I can boot the machine and it will run fine for about three minutes. Then, it crashes, and when I reboot it, it shows a huge string of errors that I couldn't begin to fit in a post, and ends with a kernel crash. This happens every time that I install and reinstall. I have followed all of the instructions to the letter. I wanted to go check to see what was wrong, but I can't see the hard drive on my laptop because the FreeNAS installation uses partitions that Macs can't read.

gpsguy

Take a picture (phone, camera, etc.) of the message and upload it here.

Include the system configuration. Motherboard, RAM, CPU, Hard disks - quantity & type (ie. 4x3Tb), UFS or ZFS. If the latter, is it RAIDz1 or ?

Then, it crashes, and when I reboot it, it shows a huge string of errors that I couldn't begin to fit in a post, and ends with a kernel crash.

soundblastdj

Dabbler
Photo on 6-9-13 at 3.56 PM copy.jpg

Sorry about the crappy image, it's what I could do with what's on hand.

System Specs:
Brand: Asus
Processor: Intel Pentium 4
Hard Drive: Western Digital 150 GB IDE
Mother Board: P4B
FreeNAS Version: 8.3.1 .IMG file, Legacy support
RAM: 1.5 GB (Not sure the type, both BIOS and labels don't say)
If anything else is needed, let me know. I may not be able to give an answer though, since this was a computer that was given to me from a friend. I know very little about it.

soundblastdj

Dabbler
Just out of curious... what do UFS and ZFS mean...?

PS: I don't have 8GB of RAM available to me

soundblastdj

Dabbler
Alright, thanks so much for everybody's help, and it has taught me a LOT, but there is no possible way for me to fit 8GB of RAM into this computer and I don't have the budget to buy that much or a new computer, so unless somebody has another solution to my problem, this project has come to a slightly disappointing end.

Thanks again for your help everybody.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That is actually a link to the FreeNAS documentation site that discusses system requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.