BUILD Need confirmation before buying parts please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
And there's cyberjock's ZFS guide, link is in my signature, it's also a good idea to read the others links on the same line while you're at it ;)

lmannyr

Contributor
Thanks for the link BiduleOhm. I'll read them before the parts arrive.

lmannyr

Contributor
Parts are arriving...

Initially I was thinking on 8 HDDs. Is there a way to add 2 more HDD to the FRACTAL R5 using the optical trays?

Also, on the supermicro X10 MB, I used all 8 SAS (blue) connectors. How can I add 2 more drives? Can I use any of the other sata connections? Will this slow down the SAS connections? Thinking of a total of 10 drives.

Still waiting on a second pair of memory sticks (only ordered 16 but meant to order 32GB) and waiting on 3 more SAS cables. MB can with 6, one was nicked showing a shiny silver material (shielding?). Otherwise, it's all put together.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
How can I add 2 more drives? Can I use any of the other sata connections? Will this slow down the SAS connections? Thinking of a total of 10 drives.

Yes. No slow down, don't worry ;)

lmannyr

Contributor
Thanks for the quick response on the connections. I'll have to do some research online (google lol) and figure out what the difference between the sata and sas in a server is.

Need to figure out how to hold 2 more HDD in the optical drive bay on the fractal r5.

lmannyr

Contributor
Yup.

Dissapointed the R5 came with 3 wire fans. So I'll replace the 2 that came with the case and add a second to the front with 4 wire fans. I'm going with 10 drives so there will also be 2 drives in the 5.25 bay with adapters. Not 100% how temps for those to drives will be. I'll have to monitor them closely in the begining. If it becomes a problem, I'll open up a top vent, or remove the covers to the 5.25 bay

So quick update:

the x10SL7-F came with 6 sata cables. I needed to order 5 more sata cables. 1 sata cable was nicked exposing the wire inside. A Buck each on ebay. The box is put together, flashed to IT ver 20, FreeNAS latest 9.3.1 is installed, and running memcheck86 right now. I'll let that run for at least 3 passes. Thinking of disconnecting the power and reset button wires from the MB. Kids hands can't stay away from buttons. I can turn the power on off reset whatever via ipmi anyway. Also ordered an EATON 1500 UPS.

Slowly coming together.

Status
Not open for further replies.