Need Advice on First FreeNAS Build: Supermicro 6049P-E1CR36H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am new to FreeNAS, but not new to datacenters, NAS/SAN, etc.. I have been asked to configure a FreeNAS array for enterprise. (Our O&M team is more than capable of managing a FreeNAS array, so we felt it was better to go with a FreeNAS build over a TrueNAS build.)

Below is the breakdown of the NAS build as it currently stands.

Code:
Supermicro SuperStorage Server 6049PE1CR36H 
36x SATA/SAS 
LSI 3108 12G SAS 
Dual 10Gigabit Ethernet 
1200W Redundant 

Processor 
2 x Intel® Xeon® Gold 6128 Processor 6core 3.40GHz 19.25MB Cache (115W) 

Memory 
12 x 32GB PC421300 2666MHz DDR4 ECC Registered DIMM 

Boot Drive 
2 x 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s Disk on Module (MLC) (Vertical) 

Storage Drive 
36 x 12.0TB SAS 3.0 12.0Gb/s 7200RPM 3.5" Seagate Enterprise Capacity v7 (Helium) (512e) 

Controller Card 
Supermicro AOCS3108LH8IR SAS 3.0 12Gb/s 8port RAID Controller with 2GB Cache 

Battery Backup 
Supermicro CacheVault Module for LSI 3108 12Gb/s SAS Controller 

Network Card 
4 x Intel® 10Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710DA2 (2x SFP+) 

Chassis Bezels 
Supermicro System Cabinet Front Bezel MCP210846010B (Black) 

Tech Specs 

Memory Technology   DDR4 ECC Reg 
Chipset			 Intel C624 
Form Factor		 4U 
Color			   Black 
Memory Slots		16x 288pin DIMM Sockets 
Graphics			ASPEED AST2500 BMC 
Ethernet			Intel® X557 10GBaseT Ethernet Controller 
Power			   1200W Redundant Power Supplies with PMBus 
External Bays	   36x Hotswap 3.5" SAS3/SATA3 drive bays 
					2x rear Hotswap 2.5" SATA3 drive bays 
					2x Optional Onboard NVMe M.2 
M.2				 2x Optional Onboard NVMe M.2 
Expansion Slots	 3x PCIE 3.0 x16 slot 
					4x PCIE 3.0 x8 slots 

Processor 

Product Line		Xeon Scalable 
Socket			  LGA3647 
Clock Speed		 3.40 GHz 
Cores/Threads	   6C / 12T 
Virtualization	  Yes 
Hyperthreading	  Yes 
Wattage			 115W 

Memory 

Technology		  DDR4 
Type				288pin DIMM 
Capacity			12 x 32 GB 
Speed			   2666 MHz 
Error Checking	  ECC 
Signal Processing   Registered 

Boot Drive

Storage Capacity	2 x 128GB 

Storage Drive 

Interface		   6.0Gb/s Serial ATA 
Storage Capacity	36 x 12.0TB 
Interface		   12.0Gb/s SAS 
Rotational Speed	7200RPM 
Cache			   256MB 
Format			  512e 

Controller Card 

Product Type		SAS RAID Controller 
Data Transfer Rate  12Gb/s SAS 
Internal Ports	  8 Ports 
External Ports	  0 Ports 
I/O Processor	   LSI SAS3108 (ROC) 
Cache Memory		2GB DDR3 
RAID Levels		 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60 
Max Devices		 240 

Network Card 

Speed			   10Gb Ethernet 
Connector		   SFP+ 
Interface		   PCI Express 3.0 x8 

Cable Medium				 Copper 
VT for Connectivity (VTc)	 Yes 
VT for Directed I/O (VTd)	 Yes 

The application:
There are four functions this array will have. As a central storage node, the array will: 1) serve VMs to multiple ESXi hosts on LAN, 2) store backups each of the ESXi hosts, 3) provide archival of the VMs (see 1), and 4) provide extended non-boot storage for the VMs as required. Each of these functions would correspond to, in non-ZFS speak, RAID10 volumes--with RAID10 being chosen to maximize IOPS and maximize array resiliency.

First question: are there any red flags with the array's application that make use of FreeNAS a non-starter? Assuming not...

Will the build FreeNAS?

Additional comments/questions:
1) The intent us to use the SATA DOM pair in RAID1 configuration as the FreeNAS boot volume.
2) We would either use the 2x M.2 ports with PLP-capable units or the 2x 2.5" SATA/SAS slots for L2ARC/ZIL. Given the size of the disk array and our application, does anyone have suggestions for drives to use? (I am not sure I can justify purchase of Intel P4800X Optane cards.)
3) Is exchange of the LSI 3108 controller to an LSI 3008 (by moving to a 6049-E1CR36L) recommended or required for FreeNAS to run?
4) As we'd like to get the maximize the usable life of this unit, we'd like the NAS to run Scalable processors. Is our current selection of a 2x 6C/12T 6128 an appropriate option for the build? Would we get more bang for our buck if we went with a different Scalable processor pair? Comments welcome.
5) Is the amount of RAM in the build about right, too much, or too little?
6) Are there any aspects of the build as it stands now that would make it incompatible with FreeNAS?
7) And the ultimate catch-all questions ... what am I missing or doing wrong, if anything?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
7) And the ultimate catch-all questions ... what am I missing or doing wrong, if anything?

If you are going to spend that much money on a system, you should just go to iXsystems and get a TrueNAS.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Additionally, the iXsystems solution would be certified and supported by warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Additionally, the iXsystems solution would be certified and supported by warranty.

Noted on both counts. Has iXsystems updated their TrueNAS appliances to support Scalable processors? We asked iXsystems for a quote a few months back, and didn't pull the trigger for multiple (mostly internal) reasons, but we also held off to wait for the rollout of Scalable processors. While we could reach out to iXsystems again to request a refreshed quote, I want to make sure we don't waste iXsystems's time.

Assuming we stay with the idea of implementing FreeNAS ... are there any issues with the build as it stands now?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I will look more closely when I get home tonight.
They have a great choice of options but for the work you've described I don't know if the processor is as much a consideration.
They have a great system with redundant controllers that would ensure uninterrupted access to the storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Has iXsystems updated their TrueNAS appliances to support Scalable processors?
I don't know, but they do sell FreeNAS Certified servers with Xeon Scalable. It's an intermediate step to TrueNAS, in a way, since you get the hardware configured to your needs but without the added TrueNAS features.

3) Is exchange of the LSI 3108 controller to an LSI 3008 (by moving to a 6049-E1CR36L) recommended or required for FreeNAS to run?
Required, no. Extremely recommended, yes.

1) The intent us to use the SATA DOM pair in RAID1 configuration as the FreeNAS boot volume.
You might save a few bucks and get improved reliability with "real" SSDs, especially if the chassis includes 2.5" bays at the rear for the OS (it's a popular feature these days).

4) As we'd like to get the maximize the usable life of this unit, we'd like the NAS to run Scalable processors. Is our current selection of a 2x 6C/12T 6128 an appropriate option for the build? Would we get more bang for our buck if we went with a different Scalable processor pair? Comments welcome.
I'm not sure you get much out of that other than cost, to be honest, unless you're looking for a specific new feature (though maybe 10GbE is slightly cheaper with Xeon Scalable). As for specific recommendations, I have no clue. If Intel marketing said "we need to confuse the hell out of well-informed people participating in forums", they sure as hell succeeded. They fragmented the market into so many different combination you need a spreadsheet just to figure out the series you need with what chipset.

5) Is the amount of RAM in the build about right, too much, or too little?
Pretty good. Since your workloads are horrible (block storage... *sigh*) more RAM will definitely help, so keeping close to 1GB per 1TB is a good plan. Maybe look at fewer 64GB LRDIMMs, though.

2) We would either use the 2x M.2 ports with PLP-capable units or the 2x 2.5" SATA/SAS slots for L2ARC/ZIL. Given the size of the disk array and our application, does anyone have suggestions for drives to use? (I am not sure I can justify purchase of Intel P4800X Optane cards.)
You'd want to branch them out via U.2 adapters to 2.5" format drives. If Optane is too expensive, a P3700 is the next best thing. As for L2ARC, that's a far easier workload, but I'm not sure about sizing.

Greg_E

Explorer
The big thing that you won't get with FreeNAS over a TrueNAS system is the redundant main boards and from what you describe, this might be something you want to make sure the system stays available.

You are working with newer tech. than I have tried, but in general the SuperMicro stuff seems to be very compatible.

We are unsure the build will work given the FreeBSD 11.1 HCL ... so we will reach out to iX and see what they propose.

Status
Not open for further replies.