Need advice for this build as newbie

mequila10

Cadet
i'll build this machine for store video footage (mainly 1080p), music and movies via jellyfin.
i wanted to install TrueNas Scale with promox, so here my build plan

CPU : i3 12100f
Ram : 16gb
MB : Asrock B660m ITX
PSU : Corsair RM750X
SSD : WD Sn570 250gb, WD SN570 Sata for tiered caching
HDD : 2x Toshiba n300 10tb

there a question :
1. how i can achive raw capacity of 20tb ?
2. are 16gb enough for running 2 VM ?

that for all, have a good day

mequila10

Cadet
i'll build this machine for store video footage (mainly 1080p), music and movies via jellyfin.
i wanted to install TrueNas Scale with promox, so here my build plan

CPU : i3 12100f
Ram : 16gb
MB : Asrock B660m ITX
PSU : Corsair RM750X

there a question :

that for all, have a good day
all for total build of this will be 417 USD or 6.400.000 IDR, with drive it will be 885USD or 13.600.000 IDR
last question is :
3. which part i can buy in Used Condition instead new to reduce cost ? beside PSU, most of part i listed are in new condition

my aim is to get nas system with power efficient, i just watched wolfie's gang videos and i want to follow his path to achive most power efficient nas system

Etorix

Wizard
i wanted to install TrueNas Scale with promox,
Why Proxmox over bare metal?
You do not have enough RAM to add a L2ARC. (Minimum 64 GB with CORE, at least 96 GB with SCALE.)

there a question :
You'd need to stripe both disks, or make each disk a single drive, single vdev pool. No redundancy, so any incident means you're loosing data.
Please don't do that.
Not really. That's just enough for TrueNAS itself.

3. which part i can buy in Used Condition instead new to reduce cost ? beside PSU, most of part i listed are in new condition
Basically everything but the most critical parts for data safety: Data drives and PSU.
If you have not purchased the components yet, look for used servers or used server parts in your local market rather than turning a gaming desktop into a NAS. It will be safer and easier. As planned you have no (i)GPU for display; TrueNAS does not need a GPU, but you may well need one to complete the build and set BIOS.

mequila10

Cadet
Why Proxmox over bare metal?
most of youtube guy said reccomend this way to install other VM
You do not have enough RAM to add a L2ARC. (Minimum 64 GB with CORE, at least 96 GB with SCALE.)
is this requirement of truenas install ?
You'd need to stripe both disks, or make each disk a single drive, single vdev pool. No redundancy, so any incident means you're loosing data.
Please don't do that.
any advice to build to achive 20tb ? like use 5x 4tb or anyhing ?
Basically everything but the most critical parts for data safety: Data drives and PSU.
If you have not purchased the components yet, look for used servers or used server parts in your local market rather than turning a gaming desktop into a NAS. It will be safer and easier. As planned you have no (i)GPU for display; TrueNAS does not need a GPU, but you may well need one to complete the build and set BIOS.
there a lenovo thinkstation p700 comes with Intel Xeon E5-2629 V3 without ram and storages at same cost build i plan, on CPU mark xeon have 14742 while i3 12100f around14261. at same price i3 build come with ram and 2 storages while xeon i must buy PSU, ram, storage

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Etorix

Wizard
is this requirement of truenas install ?
No, these are the recommendations (not "requirement" but close) for using L2ARC.
There is no obligation to have a L2ARC—or to use any other of the advances hardware or software features of ZFS.
any advice to build to achive 20tb ? like use 5x 4tb or anyhing ?
The advice, if you care for your data is to have some redundancy: Mirror, raidz1 or, more preferably with large drives raidz2.
Also mind that it is advised to use more than 80% of the raw capacity! So 20 TB of raw space would mean about 16 TB usable; if you mean "20 TB usable", you should aim for about 24 TB of raw space.
2*10 TB in mirror = 10 TB raw, 8 TB usable
5*4 TB in raidz1 = 16 TB raw, 13 TB usable
5*4 TB in raidz2 (recommended!) = 12 TB raw, 10 TB usable
See what's the best price per TB is in your market (enterprise drives such as WD Gold, Segate Exos or Toshiba MG tend to be cheaper than NAS drives such as Red Plus/Pro, Ironwolf or N300), how many drives you can afford and try to work out possible layouts from that.

there a lenovo thinkstation p700 comes with Intel Xeon E5-2629 V3 without ram and storages at same cost build i plan, on CPU mark xeon have 14742 while i3 12100f around14261. at same price i3 build come with ram and 2 storages while xeon i must buy PSU, ram, storage
I see your point, but, notwithstanding that the P700 is still a workstation and you really want a server, a Xeon E5 is much better hardware for TrueNAS than an Alder Lake Core CPU—and refurbished DDR3 RDIMM for the E5v3 is really cheap.

mequila10

Cadet
The advice, if you care for your data is to have some redundancy: Mirror, raidz1 or, more preferably with large drives raidz2.
Also mind that it is advised to use more than 80% of the raw capacity! So 20 TB of raw space would mean about 16 TB usable; if you mean "20 TB usable", you should aim for about 24 TB of raw space.
2*10 TB in mirror = 10 TB raw, 8 TB usable
5*4 TB in raidz1 = 16 TB raw, 13 TB usable
5*4 TB in raidz2 (recommended!) = 12 TB raw, 10 TB usable
See what's the best price per TB is in your market (enterprise drives such as WD Gold, Segate Exos or Toshiba MG tend to be cheaper than NAS drives such as Red Plus/Pro, Ironwolf or N300), how many drives you can afford and try to work out possible layouts from than
Here my another question
1. if I decided to upgrade drive capacity, where i move those data?
2. Can I use CCTV drive even though that SMR drive?

nas and enterprise drive price is still pretty expensive here, if I want to cheaper bang for the buck I should go to CCTV drives, for example, WD Caviar Blue 4TB and Seagate Skyhawk 4TB cost around 100usd each comes with a warranty for 3 years. also there some seller sells refurbish CCTV drive 4TB at cost 55usd and comes with 1 year warranty

Arwen

MVP
For practical purposes, SMR hard disk drives are not usable with ZFS. If you want or need to use SMR hard disk drives as permanent data drives, TrueNAS is not for you.

TrueNAS only uses ZFS for data drives. ZFS can hit SMR drives really hard during twice a month scrubs, and any disk replacement. It has been shown repeatedly that SMR drives can take 5 to 10 times longer to perform a simple disk replacement than CMR hard disk drives. (Or even longer than 10 times!)

Their are other issues with using non-NAS type drives, like laptop drives going into park every few minutes. That causes excessive wear on the head parking hardware, as well as a delay during reading and writing.

ZFS was designed by a major computer server manufacturer, Sun Microsystems, for the data center. While ZFS works perfectly fine in MANY low end uses, like my own miniature PC used for my media services, ZFS does not work for all uses and users.

All that said, people do use SMR hard disk drives with ZFS and TrueNAS. But, some problems they have, are not something we can help fix. Except to say, replace the SMR hard disk drive(s).

Whattteva

Wizard
Protip: Youtube is not a good source for this sort of thing.
I feel like we need a sticky or maybe even a header in a noticeable way on the forum homepage to take YouTube videos with a LOT of skepticism. It seems like it's a very common noob trap that has caused a lot of grief.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Doesn't work, unfortunately. Damage is fine by then, if they even read it at all.

mequila10

Cadet
i think that answer a lot of my question, even though i must do ton of research how to make system gonna works with ZFS. anyway thanks for helping m