NAS suddenly becomes unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattan

Explorer
Added required info:

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355

1/2-ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard
3-(32GB total) Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
4 -(3) Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 Raid-z1
-(1) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB (for Downloads/Jails)
5-N/A
6- On board server lan is plugged directly into router ( mi424wr from verizon )
ifconfig:
Code:
igb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether d0:50:99:50:44:45
        inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
igb1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether d0:50:99:50:44:46
        media: Ethernet autoselect
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

I managed to remote in via Jviewer and take a screenshot of the last thing on screen before it went completely black:

Ohl5tkp.jpg

The configured interfaces makes me think its a network issue, but I was able to remote into the server viewer program so I am not 100% sure if it is.

Any ideas? Its currently showing a black screen, and it posted an error. This seems to happen a few times when deleting a few files 100+ GB off an SSD ( not an array just a ssd for jails and downloads )

Upon reboot it says my SSD was not found then started to auto import a new drive:

Edit:
WebGUI states:
"CRITICAL: The volume SSD (ZFS) state is UNKNOWN:"

My question is now, if the ssd that hosts the plugin's goes down why would that effect the server and not just the one drive?

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
We're happy to help, but first please comply with the forum rules,
specifically your hardware config. as referenced (section) below.
  • System Configuration Information: Items marked with an asterisk “*” are required for a failure postings. However, all items are recommended and could simply be part of your tag-line.
* FreeNAS version (ex. “FreeNAS 9.2.1.6-Release 64-bit”)

* Hardware:
  1. * Motherboard (Model)
  2. * CPU (Model)
  3. * RAM Size (in GB and model)
  4. Hard Drives (Model), Quantity, and RAIDZ configuration
  5. Add-On cards
  6. For network connectivity, include details on your network hardware/configuration.

nattan

Explorer
We're happy to help, but first please comply with the forum rules,
specifically your hardware config. as referenced (section) below.
  • System Configuration Information: Items marked with an asterisk “*” are required for a failure postings. However, all items are recommended and could simply be part of your tag-line.
* FreeNAS version (ex. “FreeNAS 9.2.1.6-Release 64-bit”)

* Hardware:
  1. * Motherboard (Model)
  2. * CPU (Model)
  3. * RAM Size (in GB and model)
  4. Hard Drives (Model), Quantity, and RAIDZ configuration
  5. Add-On cards
  6. For network connectivity, include details on your network hardware/configuration.

Added requested information to first post

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Your board has some SATA ports on a Marvell chipset,
is the SSD in question connected to any of these ports?
Have you checked the data cable, or moved the SSD to another port?

nattan

Explorer
I replaced the cable and swapped the sata port and the drive shows up ( wasnt sure if it was the cable or the port ) but it has been detected now.

Is there any way to address the hanging issue when a drive goes down? Not only the plugins, but the whole server became unresponsive when the drive was not detected.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The board has issues (try Google) with the Marvell controller.
I have no experience with the board so I can't offer any thing else, sorry

JoeVulture

Dabbler
I have the same board (part of the iXsystems FreeNAS Mini) - here are some notes that I can offer based on the way it came configured from them:
  1. Two of the drives are connected to the Intel SATA 6 Gbps ports
  2. The SATA DOM is connected to one of the ports on the Marvell 88SE9230
  3. The other two hard drives are connected to the Marvell 88SE9172 (SATA 6Gbps)
  4. There are two cables connected to the Marvell 88SE9230 for possible SSDs (cache, not used by me)
  5. I'm pretty sure that they updated the bios on the 88SE9230 controller
In general, when devices aren't detected properly in the BIOS or you get AHCI errors, that will slow down the system, and I don't know if you really can do anything about it other than fix the underlying problem.

I would hate to believe that iXsystems would intentionally put out a product with major flaws (many people say the Marvell controllers are crap, in part to the lack of documentation - and I would believe it), but I've had no problems with it. My drives on the Marvell controllers seem to work fine, right now I'm reading 30MB/s from each one (various large files being copied) and how-swap works fine. Perhaps the Marvell controllers are a bottleneck, but I can still get Gigabit speeds over CIFS (90-100MB/s), which is pretty good to me.

-- Joe

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I believe newer FreeNAS Minis switched to shipping with the drives connected to the Intel ports, how old is yours?

nattan

Explorer
I am using the bottom 6 white ports I do not believe they are the marvel ones

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I believe newer FreeNAS Minis switched to shipping with the drives connected to the Intel ports, how old is yours?
Negative, Eric. Marbus and I dealt with a customer yesterday, or the day before, who had their 4 FreeNAS Mini drives all plugged into the Marvell controller, brand new Mini.

JoeVulture

Dabbler
I ordered and received my FreeNAS Mini just before Christmas last year (2014).
I am using the bottom 6 white ports I do not believe they are the marvel ones
There are only two Intel SATA 6Gbps ports, so you are using at least four of the Marvell Ports. The Intel SATA 3Gbps ports are blue, and the Intel SATA 6Gbps ports are the white ones next to them (I think).
Negative, Eric. Marbus and I dealt with a customer yesterday, or the day before, who had their 4 FreeNAS Mini drives all plugged into the Marvell controller, brand new Mini.
What should the correct FreeNAS Mini configuration be? All Intel, or the mix of Intel/Marvell? Obviously there is not a difference between SATA 3Gbps and SATA 6Gbps for magnetic media, as most drives will cap out at 1.5Gbps.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Damn, must've been an isolated system. I'm sure at least one system came configured like that.

What should the correct FreeNAS Mini configuration be? All Intel, or the mix of Intel/Marvell? Obviously there is not a difference between SATA 3Gbps and SATA 6Gbps for magnetic media, as most drives will cap out at 1.5Gbps.

For magnetic media, the Intel ports are the no-brainer option. For SSDs, it really depends on how far they've come since the early SATA 6Gb/s days (and how reliable they really are). When SATA 6Gb/s was new, Intel's 3Gb/s controller was actually faster than Marvell's 6Gb/s controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.