NAS setup for Video Post Production - Build Recommendation and advice welcomed

deenmeister

Cadet
Hey guys,
Happy New Year first!!

Joined the forum earlier in the year and been working on a storage solution for our Post Production facility for a while. Been doing a lot of reading since my last post and finding the forum and I think I've finally dialled in what I want.

We are replacing one of our older servers (dual e5-2650 96gb ecc on a supermicro x9dri-f) and I'm leaping at the opportunity to to setup a shared storage box using that as a foundation.

As of right now, we are editing off of a RAID 5 setup hosted on one of the editing computers with the rest (2-3) accessing via a 1Gbe network. We edit and grade at HD aside from a few 4K projects here and there. Our current setup is too limiting and I would like to correct this. I have looked at commercially available options but being in Kenya presents its own issues.

The RAID 5 is 3x3TB (mixed) and I have another 4x4TB Ironwolfs.

I would like to setup shared storage for all the computers within the office (2-3 currently, may expand to 5) and also have the machine act as a render server. From research, it would appear I would have to get a HBA as the chipset wouldn't allow directly connecting (?).

The current parts I'm not sure about are how possible doing both with FreeNAS would be and what best setup would be for the vdevs/pools to give good read performance.

Current parts list for the computer I would like to make the NAS is as follows;

2x Xeon E5 2650
Supermicro x9dri-f
96GB ddr3 ram
128Gb ssd (os)
1Tb ssd (cache)
4x4Tb (RAID 5 storage)
Nvidia GTX 1050
Seasonic 650W psu

Off the research I have done, what I would probably have to do is get a HBA, have that control the main storage, disable RAID mode on the onboard chip and use that for the OS.

What I would really need help and clarification would be what best setup for the drives to allow for a good balance between read speeds and redundancy as well as the possibility of having Windows run as a VM within FreeNAS for the ability to maintain the render server.

Thanks for any comments and advice!

Herr_Merlin

Patron
Get more drives. Like 8x 4tb and set them up as 2x 4disk RAID z1 or 4x 2 disk mirror