SOLVED NAS Randomly shuts off during write

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGVoid

Dabbler
Whenever I transfer several large files from my Windows PC to the NAS, it shuts off after 10-15 minutes of operation. I'm striping data across 2 USB 3.0 drives (one WD and one Seagate) and my server has the following specs:
CPU: AMD A10 5800k
RAM: Corsair Vengence Blue DDR3 1600 MHz
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75-MA-E35
SSD: Sandisk ReadyCache 32 GB
GPU: None; I'm using integrated graphics

When idle, the NAS runs fine AFAIK.

asb2106

Dabbler
I occasionally have this as well. Mine happens almost like clockwork around 3:25am almost every day. Around when an smb auto xfer goes through. I can manually copy without issue now but I used to have issues often as well. I added an Intel nic and it got slightly better, but I'm sick of these issues. So I'm moving over to a decent r710 server I am repurposing. Hoping to eliminate some of these random problems. This computer was Rock solid for 4 years with windows on it and freenas just finds all it's weaknesses. I'll let you know if the server grade hardware makes a difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I occasionally have this as well. Mine happens almost like clockwork around 3:25am almost every day. Around when an smb auto xfer goes through. I can manually copy without issue now but I used to have issues often as well. I added an Intel nic and it got slightly better, but I'm sick of these issues. So I'm moving over to a decent r710 server I am repurposing. Hoping to eliminate some of these random problems. This computer was Rock solid for 4 years with windows on it and freenas just finds all it's weaknesses. I'll let you know if the server grade hardware makes a difference.

Your issue is not even related to this. Please refrain from the, "me too," posts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Whenever I transfer several large files from my Windows PC to the NAS, it shuts off after 10-15 minutes of operation. I'm striping data across 2 USB 3.0 drives (one WD and one Seagate)

When idle, the NAS runs fine AFAIK.
You have the mass storage of your FreeNAS connected via USB?

asb2106

Dabbler
Your issue is not even related to this. Please refrain from the, "me too," posts.

That's actually not true. I've posted previous of exact same issues and I can show you emails of all the daily reboots I get. And old records of failures related to smb transfers. So I shared my experiences to also follow the post for future reference. So yeah bud.. not a me to post.

TGVoid

Dabbler
You have the mass storage of your FreeNAS connected via USB?

Not sure what you mean. I have 2 1 TB USB drives in stripe mode. The only internal drive I have is my 32 GB SSD used for the FreeNAS OS.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That's what I meant, you're striping data across a pair of USB connected hard drives, and that's the problem.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is there a workaround for this?
First, a stripe of two drives is not a reliable means to store data.
Second, USB is not an interface to use for creating a storage pool.

Connect your data drives by SATA or SAS. What was the reason for using USB?

TGVoid

Dabbler
First, a stripe of two drives is not a reliable means to store data.
Second, USB is not an interface to use for creating a storage pool.

Connect your data drives by SATA or SAS. What was the reason for using USB?
I don't have any available SATA drives and can't purchase any at the moment. I'm striping for speed, but I have a cloud backup service that I'm using with the NAS.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't have any available SATA drives and can't purchase any at the moment. I'm striping for speed, but I have a cloud backup service that I'm using with the NAS.
The problems you are having are due to the poor choices you have made for hardware.
Making better choices is the only option you have. You can't use FreeNAS the way you are trying to use it.

Hardware Requirements
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That's actually not true. I've posted previous of exact same issues and I can show you emails of all the daily reboots I get. And old records of failures related to smb transfers. So I shared my experiences to also follow the post for future reference. So yeah bud.. not a me to post.

So you are saying that you are using USB drives for your storage pool? Because that is the problem here.

pschatz100

Guru
I use USB3 drives for backups and data transfer between machines. To be clear, I do not stripe data across multiple USB drives - as @Chris Moore has commented, this is a bad idea.

FreeNAS is built upon FreeBSD operating system, which does not support as many devices and controller chipsets as Windows does. I suspect the USB3 chipset on your motherboard is not fully supported by FreeBSD, which causes problems.

I researched USB support before configuring any USB3 drives and found that there were only a couple of chipsets that seemed to be reliable. An internet search will turn up lots of comments about FreeBSD and USB3 chipset compatibility. I purchased a Vantec card using the Renesas uDP720201 chipset, and it has been OK for me.

TGVoid

Dabbler
I use USB3 drives for backups and data transfer between machines. To be clear, I do not stripe data across multiple USB drives - as @Chris Moore has commented, this is a bad idea.

FreeNAS is built upon FreeBSD operating system, which does not support as many devices and controller chipsets as Windows does. I suspect the USB3 chipset on your motherboard is not fully supported by FreeBSD, which causes problems.

I researched USB support before configuring any USB3 drives and found that there were only a couple of chipsets that seemed to be reliable. An internet search will turn up lots of comments about FreeBSD and USB3 chipset compatibility. I purchased a Vantec card using the Renesas uDP720201 chipset, and it has been OK for me.
I see. Would using each drive separately (not pooling) make the incompatibilities less problematic, or would I be out of luck until I purchase additional hardware?

pschatz100

Guru
I see. Would using each drive separately (not pooling) make the incompatibilities less problematic, or would I be out of luck until I purchase additional hardware?
I really cannot comment on that. How your incompatible hardware might act when you change up the configuration is anybody's guess. Since your system doesn't function properly, I would say you have nothing to lose by trying.

You might also consider pulling the drives out of the USB enclosures and attaching them directly to your motherboard via their sata interfaces.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Using them separately worked with no issues at all
The problem was with trying to keep the two drives in sync. USB (as an interface) is incapable of actually writing data to two devices at the same time. It simulates it by switching back and forth between the two. Trying to maintain a spanned volume in that way was causing the fault. If you did this using a SATA or SAS disk interface, it would have worked without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.